Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Last Minute Oktoberfest stuff

My friends,

I just decided to go to Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany and have some questions for you folks:

1) Are there any particular dates that are best to go (weekends vs. weekdays etc.)? We'll probably be going for about a week or so.

2) Where should I stay? Any good hostel or hotel recommendations? Which would be better (I have really enjoyed staying at hostels in the past but maybe they suck in munich or something i dunno)

3) What are the best beer tents? I hear you need reservations?

4) Do any of ya'll live in Munich? I met up with MATT111 the last time I was there -- he was super chill.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Last Minute Oktoberfest stuff

Are you travelling alone?
Hostel bunk beds are running 40+ Euros per night during Oktoberfest. Hotels 150+ Euros.
I'm going on Sept 30th on my way South from Berlin, but am not sure if I'll stay more than 1-2 nights.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:23 PM

I was in Munich 2 years ago and will do my best to answer.

1. - The weekends are crazier but in general every day is full. If I recall, Oktoberfest actually closes a bit early, around 10 PM or so.

2. - I only know the Arabella Park Sheraton. A hotel in the center near Marienplatz or Odeonsplatz would be pretty awesome but I imagine they are already booked. Its probably 20-30 minutes to Oktoberfest via the U-bahn (subway). I know nothing about the hostels in Munich.

3 - The wikipedia article is pretty good. Here it is:
If you can, get reservations to the tent. Here's the direct link on the Oktoberfest page . Otherwise its going to be damn near impossible to find a seat.

Other random musings:
Don't do anything stupid. The bouncers at the tents don't mess around. However, they're not looking to fight either. Just enjoy, drink beer, sing the toasting song and you'll be good:

Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit
Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit.

Traditonal german clothes for Oktoberfest (leiderhosen) is very expensive (think $250 USD or more). However, the clothes are awesome.

Take good care of the waitresses/bar-maids. If you have a table in the tent, that lady will take care of you all night. Its quite amazing to see one delievering 10 giant beer steins (mas) with just her 2 hands.

Don't try to steal a mug.

The fair rides are fun but nothing particularly special.

Each brewery does a special beer for Oktoberfest. My favorite was Augustiner.

Just about everyone will speak English. Still these words are good to know:

bitte - please
danke or dankeshain - thank you
ein - 1
mas - liter of beer (the giants mugs)

If nothing else, "ein mas bitte."

The german transportation system is awesome. You can get anywhere with it very easily.

Official Oktoberfest site (English): Oktoberfest.de
Old 09-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Wo sind die Toiletten bitte?

is another phrase you'll use over and over
Old 09-12-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Are there any particular dates that are best to go (weekends vs. weekdays etc.)? We'll probably be going for about a week or so.

2) Where should I stay? Any good hostel or hotel recommendations? Which would be better (I have really enjoyed staying at hostels in the past but maybe they suck in munich or something i dunno)

3) What are the best beer tents? I hear you need reservations?

4) Do any of ya'll live in Munich? I met up with MATT111 the last time I was there -- he was super chill.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) best time is weekdays, then you will have not so much trouble getting into the big beer tents.
Friday/Saturday/Sunday you have to show up quite early (~10am) to get a seat without reservation. In the afternoon you won't be able to enter any big tent - this also means you can't leave your place to walk around the Oktoberfest because you won't get in anymore.

3) as for reservations, see 1). the tents are pretty much equal: there is a stage with some kind of folk band playing and the seats in front of it are reserved - however you will still get a nice place behind or around the "stage" if you show up early enough.

4) yeah I'm from Munich and will be there 27.-, if theres a meet up with other 2+2ers I might join you.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:53 PM

to 3)
I can recommend you the Augustiner tent, it's the only brewery who still serves beer from 200 liters wooden barrels. they also play more typical folk music than the other tents which is fun after a few maß. :-)
Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 PM

the euro youth hostel in munich kicks a lot of ass

http://www.euro-youth-hotel.de/
Old 09-18-2007, 04:36 AM

Hofbrau tent is pretty crazy. Not many locals there though, but you will meet people from all over the place. Their beer is also my favorite in the whole world. You also have to try the chicken. It's the best chicken you will ever eat. They give you these wooden tooth pick like things to eat it with because its so tender. Hofbrau gets packed quick too so get there early or you will end up spending a lot of time getting a seat. If you tip well you will most likely get good service which can be important considering how many people they are serving.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 PM

Getting on a plane in like 3 hours to go to Munich. Only going to be there until Sunday though. We booked a hotel and it ended up costing like 300 USDs per night. There are 3 of us so for 3 nights its not that bad. If anyone is going to be there PM me. I'm also heading to London for a week after this.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 PM

I will be at Oktoberfest for Oct 1st-3rd.
PM me if you want to get together.