Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Default cheapest/easiest way to get 360 on campus wifi?

my brother lives across the street from campus, so he uses their wifi for his lappy and whatnot. he and his roomies just got a 360, how should they go about getting on live via their university's wifi?

edit - do they have to get the $100 adapter?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Re: cheapest/easiest way to get 360 on campus wifi?

[ QUOTE ]
do they have to get the $100 adapter?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you can use any wireless hub, and then run an ethernet cable from the hub to the Xbox. It's more of a pain the ass, because you can't configure the hub from within the Xbox menus, but it's definitely doable. I think you can get a wireless hub for as low as $40. I don't know the exact steps involved because I just bought the adapter (because I'm lazy), but it's definitely possible.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:36 AM

You're saying there's a hub that accepts incoming wireless signals that will send it thru an ethernet cable to a wired device? That's news to me. Please linky, I'd love to see that.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:57 PM

Okay, I looked into this a bit more. It turns out that I was wrong - what you need a wireless bridge - not a hub. You can buy bridges for around $100, but at that point you might as well just buy the xbox wireless adapter.

However, the cheaper solution is to buy a router and then load your own firmware on it to make it act as a bridge. It seems like the preferred solution is to use DD-WRT, which can be loaded onto a fair number of commercial wireless routers, like the popular Linksys WRT54G, which amazon is currently selling for $50. There are probably cheaper routers that can be used, or better deals if you look hard enough. Apparently DD-WRT is really powerful and you can configure lots of stuff like quality-of-service, so you can prioritize traffic if you have a lot of people using your connection.

So it's a fair amount of work to get it working, but I think there are probably lots of web resources for this if you are reasonably tech savy.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I looked into this a bit more. It turns out that I was wrong - what you need a wireless bridge - not a hub. You can buy bridges for around $100, but at that point you might as well just buy the xbox wireless adapter.

However, the cheaper solution is to buy a router and then load your own firmware on it to make it act as a bridge. It seems like the preferred solution is to use DD-WRT, which can be loaded onto a fair number of commercial wireless routers, like the popular Linksys WRT54G, which amazon is currently selling for $50. There are probably cheaper routers that can be used, or better deals if you look hard enough. Apparently DD-WRT is really powerful and you can configure lots of stuff like quality-of-service, so you can prioritize traffic if you have a lot of people using your connection.

So it's a fair amount of work to get it working, but I think there are probably lots of web resources for this if you are reasonably tech savy.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can get used wrt54gs on craigslist/ebay for like $20-25. DD-WRT is the [censored].
Old 09-29-2007, 11:22 PM

what I do is just connect the ethernet cable from the 360 to my laptop and bridge the connection, halo 3 on xbl works fine that way