Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Default going to the gym everyday

i just started the rippletoes program but i dont really feel "satisfied" by it if that makes sense. i got to the gym 3 times a week and stay no longer than an hour and a half while lots of people/friends i know go almost everyday and stay at least 2 hours. it makes me feel like my workouts aren't intense enough.

soo... i feel like on the days i don't do rippletoes i should still go to the gym, but do what? cardio? swimming? bball? whatever i want?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: going to the gym everyday

Spending 2 hours at the gym everyday sounds like a blast [/sarcasm]. Why would you want to do such a thing, especially if you are making progress doing Rippetoe? Also, I think you answered your own question about what you can do on your off days.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:32 PM

Use days off to recover, do something fun, or just live your life. If you're going to spend two hours working out, you probably have a lot of wasted time in there that you could eliminate if you really wanted to be serious about working out. You can get a fantastic work-out in 20 minutes.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:46 PM

pretty sure working out for 2 hours is bad for 99 percent of the population
Old 09-24-2007, 12:40 PM

Staying at the gym 2 hours is no more or less likely to wipe you out than staying there 10 minutes. It all depends on what you do while there.

Eg - 10 minutes of Tabata protocol squats with 100lb on the bar = can I lie down and die now please

2 hours of wander around, bench a light weights 20 times, check self out in mirror, bench a little, chat to a friend, bicep curls, watch the hottie on the leg curl machine, get some water, read the noticeboard, etc will not do much for anything.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM

OP,

I noticed the same thing this summer. The volume/intensity just didn't seem sufficient compared to what I had used to do. I added 1-2 exercises per "day".

I switched into the rippetoe program after having worked out off/on for a few years (but being in great cardiovasular shape due to rowing). I'm not sure if the volume is lower due to it being made primarily for beginners, or what, but I also felt like I could've/should've been doing a bit more.