Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Simple hand but vs. an unknown CR..

Dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP, 5/10 6m.

Raise to $40, BB (unknown) calls, pot = $85.

Flop comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain checks, you bet (?) $70, Villain makes it $220.

Simple fold? Do things change if the 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] was the 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?

If you check behind, do you almost always check behind these missed flops where you have A high (often good) as well as overs against most hands that are calling a CB anyways? If so, do you make an effort to disguise the fact that when you check behind on a headsup flop as the aggressor, you almost always have A high?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Simple hand but vs. an unknown CR..

would check behind flop sometimes if he's known to be aggressive, against unknowns its a bet. I check behind a reasonable amount here with other hands if its a range-narrowing issue, though not often any that are particularly strong.

I would call this c/r pretty often with AKhh, and if I did i'd probably pull some moves on good turns. I mean, aside from sets he doesn't have much that he's happy to stack off, unless he improves. BDFD certainly helps, as does a clean image. Without either of those, fold the flop or 3-bet it.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I would call this c/r pretty often with AKhh, and if I did i'd probably pull some moves on good turns. I mean, aside from sets he doesn't have much that he's happy to stack off, unless he improves. BDFD certainly helps, as does a clean image. Without either of those, fold the flop or 3-bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting... never considered doing something different because of the BDFD in spots like this... I think I like calling and pushing the turn better for folding out hands like 65 because they no longer can reason themselves into calling with a "whatever I have odds.."
Old 09-23-2007, 09:01 AM

I agree with sensei. I am usually folding, but given the BDFD call is def. reasonable.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:47 AM

I will call this to sometimes, 3flush a bellybuster and imaginative overcards.

edit. depends on stacks ofc, its easier with 150+ bb
Old 09-23-2007, 10:57 AM

I like to call sometimes for image. Villain might be likely to check-raise w/ air due to fact, that we're c-betting a good amount w/ air.

And that flop seems to be a good spot for BB to execute CRAI-bluff with air. If he has small overpair to the board with intention of getting a bet out of you on flop, he is going to be very cautious whatever hits on the turn. (Except if he hits set ofc.)

Calling and re-evaluating turn isn't bad. If I get a better read from smallish pair and turn brings a somewhat scary card, I'm executing a move every now and then.

NOTE: I'm spewdonk. Consistency of my reads is not granted.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:49 PM

Say you call..

(1) turn is the Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and he checks... you?
(2) turn is the Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and he checks... you?
Old 09-23-2007, 03:52 PM

bet both queens. the best value of your hand at this point is fold equity, obviously with the spade queen thats true, but its also the case with the heart one. dont let your newly acquired flush draw trick you into slowing down, because then your river FE is much diminished.

yes its great to check behind the turn and hit a heart on the river, but 1) that happens pretty infrequently and 2) how often does he have a hand strong enough to stack off when it does?

Also, if he calls turn i'm shoving river most of the time (unless the stacks are then too short, but you should size your turn bet so that that won't be the case)