Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 AM

Default i suck(ed) at college/life advice thread

i am a junior in college majoring in physics and need some desperate advice:
Background:
High school: 4.0+ gpa, 5's on AP tests, never studied, etc. very good at math/physics, got a partial academic scholarship...freshman year college: got A's and B's both semesters, really didnt try at all, the classes were pretty easy. Got one C in gen. chem, I think I had like a 3.3 GPA or something at the end of the year.

sophomore year started my downfall. my grades slipped in my core classes. I recieved 2 C's, 2 D's and an F during the year. I got B's in my GE classes and [censored] grades in my major classes. throughout the year i dealt with a mild form of depression, my sports were not going well, i sustained a physical injury that left me sidelined. I ended the year with something like a 2.7 cumulative GPA.

I have taken care of my depression and a few other problems that were plaguing me, but my past crappy grades will always be there. is there any hope for me left? even if i do turn things around, are grad schools even going to care? Obviously retaking previous classes would be good?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has some personal experience with turning their grades around, getting into grad schools after, etc, I would love to hear it.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: i suck(ed) at college/life advice thread

Depending on your major, a 2.7 isn't all that bad. Retake some classes if you can, but don't worry...I know plenty of people who were in worse shape and recovered in time to get a good job/get into a good grad school.

EDIT: You obviously can't recover and be the best 4.0 student ever, but a 3.35 the rest of the way + a retake or two = ~3.1 overall GPA.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: i suck(ed) at college/life advice thread

I work at a college so I see situations like this all the time. It will be hard to pull your GPA up, and re-taking classes might not even be that helpful (look into your school's policy on this). I think your best bet would be to work as hard as you can from now on out, to try to offset the effects those one or two bad semesters had.

Additionally, as far as grad schools go I think they would be more forgiving to a GPA drop during the early years of college followed by a strong rebound in the last two years, then they would to someone who bombed his last semester/year.