Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Call or not?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $58.80
BB: $18.00
UTG: $41.90
hero (CO): $52.70
BTN: $50.90

Reads: <font color="blue">I am 22/19/11 over 30 or so hands and have been active from the get go
The villain is 53/17/2.8 over same amount of hands</font>

Preflop: hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">hero raises to $2.00</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50

Flop: ($6) J 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets $3.50</font>, hero calls $3.50, SB folds

Turn: ($13) J 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 9 (2 Players)
BB checks, hero checks

River: ($13) J 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 9 A (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $7.50</font>

Pot Size: $20.50

The river had me in 2 minds. His bet is really strong to me, I raised pf and bet flop which means I could easily have an A and I notice players at this level tend to think you always have the Ace so that shows a lot of strength to me.

On the other hand I played very weakly after the flop and it looks like I don't have much so maybe betting lower and missed draw. I realise I am sort of contradicting myself from above but all these variables made decision somewhat tricky in my mind

So call or not?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Call or not?

[ QUOTE ]
...I raised pf and bet flop which means I could easily have an A and I notice players at this level tend to think you always have the Ace so that shows a lot of strength to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you didn't. You raised preflop, and he donked into you on flop and you called.

Personally, this is read dependent for me. I raise or call flop here about 50% of the time each. It's not too drawy, so I don't really care about folding out SB if he's drawing. If I call, most of the time I'm raising a safe turn (assuming he donks again).

Since he didn't donk again, I definitely bet this turn. I think checking behind here is pretty weak. You can make an argument for pot control and whatnot, but I just think it's weak. Our hand is good here a lot of the time. He could be donking flop with something like QT, a weaker J he decided to play, something like a pair of 8s, or total air. I love donking into PFRs on flop.

Anyways, betting on turn not only gives us value since we are ahead of so many hands he donks flop with, but it also makes him weary of us having a 9, so he's probably not going to bet into us again on river, no matter what comes. And we get free SD a lot.

As played, I think we kinda underrepresented our hand a bit here. His bet is weak. I at least call here. You are splitting with KJ now. I'll give you that A is not a river card I really wanted to see, but I think we are ahead and/or splitting here enough times to make this an ok call.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raised pf and bet flop which means I could easily have an A and I notice players at this level tend to think you always have the Ace so that shows a lot of strength to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like mook says, you didn't actually PFR and cbet. You called a flop donk on a rainbow board. There's really no reason for you to have an Ace here, and all the more reason for villain to bluff.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I raised pf and bet flop which means I could easily have an A and I notice players at this level tend to think you always have the Ace so that shows a lot of strength to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you didn't. You raised preflop, and he donked into you on flop and you called.

Personally, this is read dependent for me. I raise or call flop here about 50% of the time each. It's not too drawy, so I don't really care about folding out SB if he's drawing. If I call, most of the time I'm raising a safe turn (assuming he donks again).

Since he didn't donk again, I definitely bet this turn. I think checking behind here is pretty weak. You can make an argument for pot control and whatnot, but I just think it's weak. Our hand is good here a lot of the time. He could be donking flop with something like QT, a weaker J he decided to play, something like a pair of 8s, or total air. I love donking into PFRs on flop.

Anyways, betting on turn not only gives us value since we are ahead of so many hands he donks flop with, but it also makes him weary of us having a 9, so he's probably not going to bet into us again on river, no matter what comes. And we get free SD a lot.

As played, I think we kinda underrepresented our hand a bit here. His bet is weak. I at least call here. You are splitting with KJ now. I'll give you that A is not a river card I really wanted to see, but I think we are ahead and/or splitting here enough times to make this an ok call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, stupid me. I assumed I bet on the flop well cause I usually do, meh

Anyway Yeah looking back I agree the turn check is weak. Betting makes this easier to play. I think I was trying for pot control or something but meh now