Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 PM

Default C-Bet gone wrong...

Villain has been at the table for only one hand. I am playing pretty TAGGy at 18/13/2.3, but he obviously doesn’t know that.

MP2 (2665 in chips)
HJ (795 in chips)
CO (3600 in chips)
BU (3805 in chips)
Hero (3240 in chips)
BB (7655 in chips)
UTG (4050 in chips)
UTG+1 (4930 in chips)
MP1 (9545 in chips)

Blinds are 50/100, Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Six folds, BU calls 100, Hero raises 300 to 400, BB calls 300.

Flop (900): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets 500, BB raises 1000 to 1500, Hero???

I’m reasonably happy about the board texture for a C-Bet, but re-reading this, I’m worried about stack sizes. Following the C-Bet I’ve invested almost 1/3 of my stack in the hand; does this mean a shove is the way to go?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Re: C-Bet gone wrong...

no, i think youve played it well, assuming you folded to his raise. Your never ahead here and have 0 FE, and when you fold your m is still like 15 so weve got time to rebuild, and i wouldnt worry about your cbet, your entitled to lead that flop everytime.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, i think youve played it well, assuming you folded to his raise. Your never ahead here and have 0 FE, and when you fold your m is still like 15 so weve got time to rebuild, and i wouldnt worry about your cbet, your entitled to lead that flop everytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with the above, the point of a cbet when we miss is two fold remember. To take down pots when our opponents miss and to let us get away relatively cheaply when our opponent shows us strength like yours has here.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 AM

guh, tough spot, the board is not bad for c-betting, but factor the big stack in and his calling range including a lot of Qs and his ability to take you off a hand when you c-bet because at 7200 he becomes a vicious animal, I'm almost tempted to check and give up the hand OOP, but if I do c-bet, I'm definitely folding to his raise.

Barry
Old 09-20-2007, 03:20 PM

I like the Cbet in this position but was actually more afraid of the late position limper than the BB. Either way, it didn't work and now you have to lay it down.

I do have one stupid question though and would appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me. "I am playing pretty TAGGy at 18/13/2.3" What is the 18/13/2.3?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the Cbet in this position but was actually more afraid of the late position limper than the BB. Either way, it didn't work and now you have to lay it down.

I do have one stupid question though and would appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me. "I am playing pretty TAGGy at 18/13/2.3" What is the 18/13/2.3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Those are PokerTracker numbers: 18% of hands I "voluntarily put money in the pot" (VPIP, i.e. not counting the times I check from the big blind or fold the small blind); 13% of hands I raise pre-flop; and I have a "total aggression factor" of 2. This is some complex formula that compares how often one bets or raises as opposed to calls--PokerTracker says (if I recall correctly) that over 1.5 is aggressive, less than 0.7 is passive. A lot of people don't put much stock in this last figure.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 PM

BTW--thanks all for the replies. This is exactly the kind of hand I used to stack off with. In the event, I folded and went on to make the final table.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: C-Bet gone wrong... *DELETED*

Post deleted by wizard
Old 09-20-2007, 04:06 PM

raise more PF. You are OOP, so make it 500 or so to avoid these situations if you can