Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Default AA, dangerous board

I have AA and raise UTG. Only big blind calls and the flop is QJJ rainbow. BB checks, I bet and BB calls. Turn is a blank. BB checks. Is it OK to check behind? BB is a bit passive but otherwise good solid player I think.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Re: AA, dangerous board

I'd probably bet. I'd need more of a read on BB to check behind -- i.e. I'd have to know that he's tricky enough to c/r the turn with Jx. But then again, he might even try a C/R with KQ and you have him crushed.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:28 AM

What is your reasoning for wanting to check?

-McGee
Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 AM

I'd bet the turn and bet the river as well if called and checked to.

Ok, it's a small pot and we can be way behind trips but two high cards also give a potential straight draw to BB: you wouldn't like K,Q,T,9, or 8 falling on the river.

If c/red by the passive villain I might find a fold getting 7.25:2 to showdown.

Against a very aggressive villain checking behind in a small pot could avoid a semibluff c/r on turn and induce a river bluff.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, it's a small pot and we can be way behind trips but two high cards also give a potential straight draw to BB: you wouldn't like K,Q,T,9, or 8 falling on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving a free card isn't the main argument for betting the turn. Our big concern should be getting value with the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Against a very aggressive villain checking behind in a small pot could avoid a semibluff c/r on turn and induce a river bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villain is likely to overplay his hand, why would you want to keep him from doing that?

-McGee
Old 09-20-2007, 12:47 PM

Checking behind here would be correct against an aggressive player but not a passive one.

Against an aggressive player you won't know if your ahead if you're check/raised so you'll probably have to call down. You're hand isn't vulnerable if you're ahead and and aggressive player will likely bet the river if the turn is checked through when he likely would have foled the turn without a Q or J, only one of which you're ahead.

Against a passive opponent you can easily lay your hand down if you get c/r. Plus passive opponents are famous for calling down with bad hands so you can get paid off by a Q, weak draws, or even overcards.

If you would have described youre opponent as aggressive I would say that it's a great play, but against a passive player I suggest betting and probably folding to a raise. Did you have any specific stats on this guy?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:54 PM

I can think of maybe one or two people I've played against in my entire life where I'd feel comfortable folding this hand to a turn c/r.

-McGee
Old 09-20-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving a free card isn't the main argument for betting the turn. Our big concern should be getting value with the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree about the value betting, it is the main concern here - but admittedly didn't stress that in my original post.

My point about protecting against a possible straight draw was meant to strengthen the case for betting and also discuss why this is a slightly different situation from a typical 'way behind / way ahead' situation: here the villain might have an OESD with 8 outs - and not be that far behind.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villain is likely to overplay his hand, why would you want to keep him from doing that?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ] You make a very good point. My argumentation is flawed here. I guess against an aggressive villain we'd have to call down and not fold to c/r - aggressive villain's bluffing frequency should be high enough for calling down to be EV+.

Would there be any merit in 3-betting the turn if c/red by an aggressive villain?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:26 PM

This seems more like a way ahead/way ahead situation. You're going to be facing a Q, a middle pocket pair putting you on AK, and straight draws much more often than you'll be up against trips. And you *are* way ahead of most straight draws -- only T9 has as many as 8 outs. Bet/call turn and river unless it's an ace or queen. 3-betting the turn is surely spewing.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would there be any merit in 3-betting the turn if c/red by an aggressive villain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against certain players, absolutely. But you'd want to have an extremely solid read.

-McGee