Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Correct Line

My friend was sweating me the other day and this hand came up. The correct way to play the hand up to the point I was in was not in question, but rather the correct move to make at the point I was in.

I held 77 on a 2344 board. Lets assume the pot is 100 and we have 100 left. This particular opponent was rather bad and on mega tilt, so folding my hand was out of the question. The divergence in opinions arose over the bet size. My friend who is actually one of the biggest winners in mid-stakes told me to shove. I wanted to bet 50. My friend's reasoning was that betting 50 might allow him to call with overs and hit. In the worst case overs scenario, he will have AK which hits roughly 22.7% so he needs roughly 4.4-1, but if i bet 50 he will be getting only 3-1. Even if I include the fact that I never fold the river his implied odds are only 4-1. My friend was rather sure all in was best, but my question is, is it not best to charge him an incorrect price, even at the risk of losing?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Correct Line

If you think villain will call an all-in with the worst hand, then go all-in.

Also, if you bet $50 and get called, then any overcard that doesn't improve your opponent's hand might kill your action. For example, if an ace hits and you push $50 more, then he might fold KQ unless he now beats you. Moreover, if an overcard does improve his hand, you probably pay him off for $50 more since you're getting 4:1 to do so and he might be bluffing 20% of the time you check to him on a river scare card.

without much more than the OP, pushing is probably best if you expect worse hands, like AK, to call.

Although I find it amusing that you are so sure that 77 is the best given that it's a coordinated, paired board and any pair 88 or better and any pair 44 or lower, plus all kinds of low connectors have you killed on this flop. You must have some kind of fantastic read that villain only has overcards.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:33 PM

First lets assume that betting $50 into a $100 pot is neutral EV in the long run . This means that if you bet $50.01 into the pot , then it's a slight mistake for your opponent to call you .On the other hand , if you had bet $100 and your opponent makes the call , then it's even more of a mistake for your opponent . In theory , what you would like to do is maximize his mistakes by finding a number x , s.t he is indifferent to calling you with .

i.e , it may be that he's indifferent to calling with $70 but that if you bet $70.01 , he will certainly make the fold .
Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 PM

If you are not folding your hand regardless of the river card, and you are betting the turn then I say put it all in and make him pay to draw. Why would you put in half your stack when you know you are calling any river bet he might make. Just doesnt make sense to put in half your stack!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I find it amusing that you are so sure that 77 is the best given that it's a coordinated, paired board and any pair 88 or better and any pair 44 or lower, plus all kinds of low connectors have you killed on this flop. You must have some kind of fantastic read that villain only has overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]
My very first thought. It's almost like a guy on tilt just has to be playing trash that missed.