Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Should I hold credence in these crackpot theories?

On the surface this forum appears to be a conglomerate of crackpot theorists holding each other's doomsday scenario as self-evident .

I am relatively young, and as such only have a basic grasp of the concepts present in your average economics post so I have to ask those that would be well-versed whether or not the prevailing opinion in this forum holds any water. I find it hard to believe that the numerous garrulous Business, Finance, and Investing posters would have such a capacious grasp of the US economy, a grasp that Ben Bernanke and the other Fed Chairman lack.

So should I take anything in here seriously, and if so should I begin by converting all of my assets to $1 bills so they could be used as firewood, toilet paper, and insulation?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Should I hold credence in these crackpot theories?

[ QUOTE ]
should I begin by converting all of my assets to $1 bills so they could be used as firewood, toilet paper, and insulation?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are better quality things to use than $1 bills, but then you get what you pay for.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that the numerous garrulous Business, Finance, and Investing posters would have such a capacious grasp of the US economy, a grasp that Ben Bernanke and the other Fed Chairman lack.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your interested in history at all go back and read what the fed chairman was saying in 1928, or in the 70s before stagflation (or in the late 80s before the crash, or in 1997-98 before the tech bubble). The guys "managing" the economy are routinely overly optimistic about the economy.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:30 AM

No, you shouldn't.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the surface this forum appears to be a conglomerate of crackpot theorists holding each other's doomsday scenario as self-evident .

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's just that such crackpots tend to be very loud.

[ QUOTE ]

I am relatively young, and as such only have a basic grasp of the concepts present in your average economics post so I have to ask those that would be well-versed whether or not the prevailing opinion in this forum holds any water.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt doomsday is the prevailing opinion of the forum. I doubt there even is a prevailing opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

I find it hard to believe that the numerous garrulous Business, Finance, and Investing posters would have such a capacious grasp of the US economy, a grasp that Ben Bernanke and the other Fed Chairman lack.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you miss is that they need to choose words very carefully and not upset the economy. This is why Bernanke and others can be in a position where they know something but cannot possibly state it. They need to calm the fears of a bunch of panicky people.

[ QUOTE ]

So should I take anything in here seriously, and if so should I begin by converting all of my assets to $1 bills so they could be used as firewood, toilet paper, and insulation?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should take things in here seriously but not as gospel. You should listen to arguments and theories presented but then use critical thinking to determine accuracy.

I'd hold off on the burning of $1 bills.

J
Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize you are asking the crackpots if you should take the crackpots seriously right now, right?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:39 PM

You should never give credence to crackpot theories expressed on the internet (LDO).

This forum floats some great advice and some terrible advice, but for the life of me I don't know how somoene without the background to tell the two apart would know the difference. For general investment advice Dcfir steers people in the right direction (even though we fundamentally disagree on some things) and gull is excellent. Other than that, take it as entertainment.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
should I begin by converting all of my assets to $1 bills so they could be used as firewood, toilet paper, and insulation?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are better quality things to use than $1 bills, but then you get what you pay for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, have you learned nothing from this forum? Convert it to Yen, Pesos, or Gold for a much better value!

This forum is like any other investment advice. Do your homework before even considering to follow any of it. Much of the advice here is a total joke - but no more so than much of the advice you'd see watching CNBC or reading yahoo! finance.

James
Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, have you learned nothing from this forum? Convert it to IOWA FARMLAND for a much better value!

James

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon james, you should know better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

btw, are your mortgages OK? or are you off the hook for your asset backed loans ?

Barron
Old 09-19-2007, 05:25 PM

This forum has become a bit unhinged with anti-U.S. hysteria. I guess we should thank the radicals for bolstering risk premiums.