Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 AM

Default NL500: 87 on 876K board against donk

NL500, a "buddy" I know from 6max (pretty bad LAG; a losing player) is sitting lonely at a new 6max table, waiting for players. I decide to play him HU. The game just started, I think I raised and he folded a couple of times or maybe he folded to my cbet. No big pots yet.

Villain is SB with $234.
Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and covers.

SB completes, hero checks.

Flop 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($10)

Hero bets $9, SB calls.

Turn K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($28)

Hero bets $27, SB raises to $54 ($166 behind), hero...?

Does it change if villain is no LAG but a loose passive calling station?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:33 AM

Default Re: NL500: 87 on 876K board against donk

No shame in calling here and calling unimproved.

Pushing isn't terrible.

You really have a bunch of options available. Seems a lot like a float that hit which makes me lean towards pushing.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:45 AM

This is a push especially against villain you described. Against solid villains, you might just call and call unimproved nonscare card even though I prefer pushing, against this guy, pushing is better because of all the scare cards that can come on the river.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:06 AM

Push > Call > Fold IMO.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Push > Call > Fold IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, too many river cards kill action to call here.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 AM

Yeah, I pushed here, but I was working on incorrect reads. He was buddylisted alright, but he wasn't actually a bad LAG, but a calling stationy LAP so his turn minraise should have raised alarms.

Which means I should have just called the turn raise and check-called river here IMHO.

Against the guy I thought I was playing it's a shove though as he could have just decent top pair or pair+FD both of which he stacks off with.

I think my problem lies in Harrington. Harrington wrote that top pair headsup is like a set in full ring. So I play two pair like ZOMG quads or something, but it's not right.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I pushed here, but I was working on incorrect reads. He was buddylisted alright, but he wasn't actually a bad LAG, but a calling stationy LAP so his turn minraise should have raised alarms.

Which means I should have just called the turn raise and check-called river here IMHO.

Against the guy I thought I was playing it's a shove though as he could have just decent top pair or pair+FD both of which he stacks off with.

I think my problem lies in Harrington. Harrington wrote that top pair headsup is like a set in full ring. So I play two pair like ZOMG quads or something, but it's not right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing here is undoubtedly correct here, thinking otherwise because he beat you once is super results orientated. You are soooooooooooo far ahead of his range and thats all that matters.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:07 AM

Harrington is talking about late stages of a tournament, when the blinds kill a postflop game. In cash games, this is usually not the case and top pair can be folded a lot of times. Even against a calling station, you have to move in on the turn. 5,9,10,4, club, all kill the action. You are ahead here a lot of times. Minraise from loose passive players isn't such a big indicator of strength.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing here is undoubtedly correct here, thinking otherwise because he beat you once is super results orientated. You are soooooooooooo far ahead of his range and thats all that matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Even against a calling station, you have to move in on the turn. 5,9,10,4, club, all kill the action. You are ahead here a lot of times. Minraise from loose passive players isn't such a big indicator of strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you're right and I'm results oriented (I think you can guess by now I lost the hand, he had K6).

His 6max stats were 52/12/1.1 and he was really bad. It is possible that Kx one pair hands are a lot of his range though I guess; he'd definitely float with overs and may like TPGK enough to minraise turn with it.

How would you play a LAP if you were 100BB deep here? Against a LAG it's still a shove, isn't it?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:29 AM

I put it in vs all but the tighest opponents. Vs a lag its an easier push than a tag, you get that right?