Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 03:51 AM

Default Emotion and Logic

What role does analytical logic play in understanding Life, humanity and the universe. And what role does emotion play?

Also, what is your philosophy regarding why we are here, if there is a why for you at all?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Emotion and Logic

[ QUOTE ]
What role does analytical logic play in understanding Life, humanity and the universe. And what role does emotion play?

Also, what is your philosophy regarding why we are here, if there is a why for you at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I’ll leave your first question to others but I can opine on the second.

We are here to thoroughly enjoy life. We’ve been granted consciousness, which can’t be taken away from us according to co-variant theory. We are stuck forever in space-time in the life we have, so make the best of it. Don’t murder someone for money, don’t rape someone for brief pleasure, because, number one, these things usually won’t make you feel good, but number two, you risk spending this life in prison, and this life is your eternal life.

But do, do those things that make you happy, even if that means spending your evenings in strip bars. Hang out with good friends, do fun things, etc, etc.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is your philosophy regarding why we are here

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't think I'd be the only one answering:
Feel like making love
Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think analytical logic is central to understanding life and the universe - the emotions only necessary for understanding sentience.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think we're here to make choices. Free will is what makes sentient life special imo.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Emotion in the starting point, it is inspiration and hope and desire. It conjures doors and pathways and possibilities.

Logic then examines those avenues and tries to determine which ones have promise and where they go, which are dead ends, and which cannot be fully analyzed logically yet, if ever.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know why we are here so I have created my own reason for being here. That reason is twofold. First, I will try to discover why we are here (kind of a perputual logic wraparound) and second, I will work towards maintaining our society and population so that our future generations can continue working on this problem.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:09 PM

Logic suffers the same problem as all problem-solving tools, be they computer programs or other types of algorithms. Garbage in, garbage out. Thats where emotion (or preferences or prejudices, whatever you want to call it) comes in.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:56 PM

You have to define emotion properly, in psychology (most modern psychology anyway) emotions are looked upon as arising in a distinct region of the brain (amygdala) whereas cognitive thought is linked to the frontal lobes, emotions' effect on cognitive thought is proposed through various models, but however you twist and turn it cognitive thought is what we 'think'.

When you don't define the two terms properly, I fear the discussion will end up in people using the terms on roughly the same things (the mish mash you end up with after emotions has affected cognitive thought and vice versa).
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 PM

The emotions are connected to senses that give us knowledge of the world and could be called senses too. Logic is not called an emotion but could be called a sense.

The logic together with emotions make sense to the things we experience. The different emotions tell us about some categorical factors of the things we experience (that we and our system sees and feels), and without logic we would not exist as logical (and conscious) beings seeing the logic of it "all."

The logic is aware of more or less all the emotions (though that position could be given for the self-awareness but still the logic has if not a higher but a larger position than the emotions). The emotions are only aware of their own factors.

Why we are here is because the pieces of the universe automatically get together according to the laws of nature. It's called being and evolution. And they as well as we follow those laws of the nature. Basically their will and the meaning (together and more - three will factors together being what looks like nine will factors) is our will and the meaning; the meaning being e.g. that nine.