Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Speaking of PP \'s -- Here\'s a KK Scenario

Stakes: .1/.2 micro

Table: 9 handed

Stacks: I had about the max buy-in, villain had about .25 more than me.

Scenario: I raise 4x from MP with KK. Everyone folded before me and behind me except the BB. The BB puts in the extra money and we see a flop. Flop comes 6-Ace-4, with 2 hearts. The BB immediately bets out about 1/2 the size of pot. I suspect a steal attempt but I am not sure. The player is LAP.

Four scenarios cross my mind as to his possible cards:

1) It seems pretty logical for the BB to have A-x and put in the extra change to see a flop.

2) He may have had something like 6's and hit a set.

3) May have had four-flush and was semi-bluffing

4) Stone-cold bluff in an attempt to take the pot down hoping I didn't have AK or AA.

At any rate, the A scared me and I folded my Kings (I had tripled my buy-in by busting 2 players and didn't want to go bust myself in 1 hand).

Looking back I probably should have made a "probe" raise for info, and if he reraised then I fold. If he called and checked on turn, then I could put the pressure on. Would this have been correct or was the lay down the right move?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Speaking of PP \'s -- Here\'s a KK Scenario

[ QUOTE ]
Looking back I probably should have made a "probe" raise for info, and if he reraised then I fold. If he called and checked on turn, then I could put the pressure on. Would this have been correct or was the lay down the right move?

[/ QUOTE ]

"probe" raise???

At .1/.2 which I'm taking for a 1 cent/2 cent and not a .10 cent .20 cent game, I seriously doubt any one is leading into you after calling your raise when Ace rags hit the board. Don't over think the hand at these levels. Keep it at second level thinking: 1) I know what I have, 2) What does my opponent think I have?

You raised preflop so AA/TT, A/KQ, AJs are well within your raising range. I'd fold KK to aggression from an OOP player at these limits. Play solid ABC poker and you'll do well.

EN

P.S Use a hand converter too.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 PM

i'd suggest listing out the things you know about that player so far, and if this current situation is consistent. does he respect position? have you seen him make steal attempts with half-pot bets? does he play more agressive heads up? have you seen him fold any big blinds at all? (maybe he hates being pushed off blinds and called with Q6 and decided to bet his 6. on and on. micro or not, its poker. maybe you fold that 9 of 10 times, but if you fold it 10 of 10 times you are giving away money.
my .02 anyway.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 PM

You can't just fold here without a good reason. A good reason would be that this guy only bets when he has a good hand. If you don't know that, then he could be betting with a wide variety of hands that you beat.

And you can't just call here either. You will very likely face another bet on the turn for more money and nothing will have changed unless a K or a flush card comes. So a raise is the only good play here I can see. A good raise is triple what he bet. At the very least, if he calls, you be sure that if he leads the turn, you can now fold or if he checks, you can now decide if he has Arag or a flush draw. Probably I would check behind on the turn and keep the pot small.

It's tough to play these kinds of hands if you have no read on your opponent and no clue what his reactions mean.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 PM

Thanks guys.

I suppose I can see both points of view -- the one En has as to folding it, to the one Josh and Pants have in that I may lose money in the long run.

I think Josh and Pants would be right if I were playing higher stakes, but, as EN said, at the micro levels people don't "think" all that much most of the time and usually don't try and make moves at a pot.

Of course, like everything else in poker, it comes down to reading the player, and as quickly as people come and go on those tables I usually don't have over 10-20 hands to evaluate them. In this case, I think folding was best since I didn't have a firm read on the guy. But, the reason i was concerned is because the guy was LAP, so he did play more hands than normal and was slightly aggressive.