Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 08:05 AM

Default Buy in for 25 or 50BB?

Before you answer "neither", this relates to PLHE game at a cardroom in London with £1/£1 blinds, min buy-in is £25 and max is, peculiarly, £50. So what are the arguments for buying in at either end of the range?

Play is generally loose and aggressive with lots of gamblers. I figure I'm going to be AI a lot of the time I play a hand, so I prefer to go in short. As my opponents could - and often will - have almost anything, is it best to rely on starting hand values more than post-flop reads?

Is there any virtue in buying in for 50BB? I'm thinking of something Rolf Slotboom said (relating to PLO but maybe relevant here) about either playing short or for the maximum (typically 100BB) - if he found himself in the mid-range he'd top up.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Buy in for 25 or 50BB?

if the game is soft you want as much on the table as your br can handle
Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 AM

If some bad players buy in for 50, you should buy in for 50 as you would not be maximizing your EV if you got AI ahead against one of these players.

If everyone buys in for 25, there isn't really any benefit to buying in for 50 right off the bat. As soon as a bad player's stack increases though, I would try to match it as much as possible.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:08 AM

Good players prefer big stacks so if you consider yourself a better player than the rest at this game then buyin max.
Your target should be to grow your stack and hope to get playing against poor players who also get larger stacks.

If your a less experienced player (again in relation to the typical players in this game) then it may be more profitable to buyin short.
BUT...... it wont help your game in the long run.
IMO unless £50.00 is a lot to your roll then buyin full regardless.

BTW - Im guessing this game wont be very strong if its anything like the £50.00 games this side of the Irish Sea!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 AM

50 if there's plenty of 50s. 50 actually gives you a good SPR if you standard raise (4xBB+1 per limper) for you big pairs and AK, so that's good. You never get real good value in raised pots on the more speculative hands like Axs, smaller PP and suited connectors tho (so only play em in unraised multiways from CO and button, where you aren't likely to be raised).

Actually, sounds soft enough to be playing any two broadways and A9s, 77+, and being aggressive if you connect with the flop.