Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Two hands from my 1/2 NL live session...

Which lasted only ten hands...sigh. I got the feeling I was wasting my time the minute I sat down.

Some background...as I was waiting in line to get a table, this kid was eyeing me pretty hard. I didn't know what it was about, but I got the strong sense that he was a pro, just trying to size up some competition from my mannerisms alone.

Any, got seated, at the table with this kid, two seats to hit right. He was definately a pro, the way he dressed, and as young as he was (probably 24). I get dealt 7-2 behind the button as my first hand, fold, and my second hand is two nines in the cutoff. It is folded around to me, I make it $12, and he calls from the button.

Some more background...lately people have been saying i play too tight, and also my bet sizes are too small, so i'm trying something new here, which i have a feeling is the right way to go. However....

The flop was 8s 7c 5s, and i bet $15 right out. He calls.

The turn is a red Jack. I bet $25, he calls. Uh oh...

The river is another red Jack. I bet $35...and GO FIGURE, he RR to $105 total...umm...he's got a set of something probably, or two tens...whatever it was, i muck.

Analyze!

A whopping 9 hands later, i'm in the same spot with two black Jacks, already looking at exactly half the $200 i started with and shaking my head thinking "does anyone really win money at this game with $5 a hand being taken off the table?". There are two calls in front of me, including a trappy black guy who already limp/shoved for $100. I make it $15 to go, pro kid calls again on the button, limper folds, trappy black guy MINIRAISES to $30...uhm...ok? I decided if he made that move after someone already limped with a hand better than jacks more power to him, and figured it to be a power play. I pushed. Pro kid folds, he calls. I show my jacks, he just sits there and does nothing. Flop A-x-x-x-x, he finally shows A-Q os, i stand up 10 hands after I sat down and curse 1-2.

I don't think i'm going to play 1-2 anymore, it just seems like a terrible waste of time...I think getting a bankroll for 2-5 and starting there is a better way to go, just because in 1-2 the only time i personally ever get action is when i'm either beaten, or if it's preflop and they are trying to hit a set or two pair, which they dump postflop leaving me with a tiny pot, which builds my stack ZERO since i pay it all back in blinds waiting for another hand, and then finally get stacked in a situation like the ones above.

10 hands.......let me have it if you see a misplay, PLEASE.

I'm at my wits end with this poker playing :/
Old 09-12-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Two hands from my 1/2 NL live session...

1) Nobody playing 1/2 live is a pro.
2) Pot flop with 99. Check river.
3) Call RR with JJ, re-evaluate flop.
4) Always have a full stack in front of you. If the buy in is 200 and you lose 100, put another 100 on the table so you have a full stack.
5) 1/2 live is never going to be profitable beyond a few bucks an hour because of the reasons you mentioned.