Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 12:56 PM

Default How bad is this?

All players are loose and passive.

UTG limps, I raise QsQc in MP, guy to my left cold calls, big blind calls, UTG calls.

Flop:
As Jd 5s

Checked to me, I bet, all call.

Turn:
4c

Checked to me, I bet?

I realize this is a very basic question, and I probably check here around 70% of the time. I guess I'm just wondering if against this lineup if betting is spewing chips. I expect an ace to just call if I bet, and don't expect guy to my left to bet anything I beat if checked to. However these players will also call with anything resembling a draw so I may have the best hand. I'm not planning to put any more money into this pot unless I improve on the river.

I'm pretty sure this is bad, but on a scale of Good, OK, Bad, Really Bad, and Disgustingly Bad, where does this rate?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: How bad is this?

i would check but betting isnt horrible. lots of draws, the J, etc would give people lots of reasons to call the flop w/o an ace.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Look ok to me. There's a tiny chance you'll put someone with a small Ace (BB most likely) in a tough spot. There's a couple draws that might hold out and pay you off. You'll lose a fair number of times in this position, but that doesn't mean the bet is without merit.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:17 PM

betting is fine.

on a drawless board you can be less inclined to bet, but it's pretty standard for me here. gutshots, Jacks, pp's etc. will call liberally.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:24 PM

Bet the turn. Usually check the river if you don't improve. With more aggressive and fewer players you're going to have to play poker (a value check may be considered) but in this game if you bet, a raise on the turn probably means you're cooked.

Your bet will make the actions of others more controlled and readable. Suppose you check, and now the player to your direct right bets the river. You're squeezed a bit but you are in the dark and have two other players in the action.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:27 PM

I'm assuming here if we bet the turn and are not raised that our Qs must be good.
Sklanksy says that if we show strength before the flop with QQ, a K or A flops and someone bets into us, that we are way behind and should fold. Are we agreed that this is the way to go?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming here if we bet the turn and are not raised that our Qs must be good.
Sklanksy says that if we show strength before the flop with QQ, a K or A flops and someone bets into us, that we are way behind and should fold. Are we agreed that this is the way to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against these players, if someone bets into me I'm mucking fast. However, they are passive enough that they would just c/c the whole way with their weak aces.

After rethinking this though I think I am ahead on the turn often enough to make a bet correct and as mentioned above, betting the turn makes future decisions a lot easier as I can easily fold to a raise, and probably only have to worry about a bet coming from my left on the river if I don't improve (assuming guy to my left calls).
Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 PM

Results (not that they really matter):

UTG limps, I raise QsQc in MP, guy to my left cold calls, big blind calls, UTG calls.

Flop:
As Jd 5s

Turn:
4c

River:
Qd

Checked to me, I bet, guy to my left calls, BB folds, UTG hums and haws about how his kicker is no good and folds, flipping up his Ace. After I table my hand, guy to my left exclaims "rivered again!" and shows A4o.

This got me to thinking that perhaps my turn bet was a little overzealous, but this discussion has me convinced that betting the turn is fine.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:41 PM

lol at the A4o. that is awful. yay live poker!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:21 PM

bet turn is fine