Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 09:48 AM

Default NL10 SB complete makes mediocre pair

Ok, here I complete the small blind because 3 people have limped, and I might make a straight draw.
Sure enough, I end up with a mediocre one-pair hand out of position.
I need to improve with these kind of holdings.
Any advice is welcome!

<u>Reads:</u> I now this guy for a couple of orbits. When I came to the table, he just called an all-in with very, very, very little (donīt remember precisely, but he had something a lot worse than TPTK). The other player turned out to have complete air, and he probably kind of knew him. I donīt know their history. He didnīt do anything out of the ordinary later. He is playing 3 tables.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $9.90
BB: $9.15
UTG: $8.20
UTG+1: $4.05
MP1: $18.00
MP2: $10.10
CO: $1.75
BTN: $10.50

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8 Players)
UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 folds, CO calls $0.10, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks

Flop: ($0.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets $0.40</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $0.40, 2 folds

<font color="blue"> General ideas: I will fold to a bet that gets called between me and the bettor. Now comes his bet, it looks like it might be done with about anything he woould limp with, as there is just one player behind him and no-one seems to be interested in the pot yet. I might be ahead and want to see if he bets again.</font>

Turn: ($1.30) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets $0.90</font>, Hero calls $0.90

<font color="blue"> All right, he bets again...
I expect him to have a hand very often.
I feel tempted to call, which I do.
This might be bad play because I really must admit, I have no good idea how to respond to a river bet, which is likely to come. Plus he has me beat very often.
So do I have to fold here?</font>

River: ($3.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.10</font>

<font color="blue"> Chances are he doesnīt have an Ace. But wait... I have an Ace, havenīt I?? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
Old 09-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: NL10 SB complete makes mediocre pair

If your trying too rep the ace and get him too fold your miles off i think. The only single paired hand that beats you is KT and he isnt folding that.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:56 AM

I think that bluff off yours was quite desperate. You played this whole hand pretty weak IMO, and that river bet looks VERY suspicous to any decent player.
Normally I prefer playing those hands more aggressive. There have been three limpers in front of you, no raises, so no one seems to have too much of a hand PF. Believe it or not, but your hand could def be good here. To find out if, you can either come out betting or, what is stronger but also cost more money, you can c/r the flop. Just calling down here and trying a weak bluff on the river is IMO def not the line you should take here.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 PM

I'd fold the flop. You might have the best hand, but you have the reverse implied odds + you are OOP.

I don't think your river bluff will work. Even if he believed you had the ace 1/3 of the pot is too cheap for most to fold. There is also the chance that he can beat top pair.

The times I represent the ace are usually if I'm on a draw and BB bets a K-high flop, I call and everyone else folds - if the turn is an A and he bets small I can often take the pot by raising.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:02 PM

In a limped pot like this, I usually bet pot-size on the Flop when I hit TP trying to take down the pot right away. As played, I c/c River.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:37 PM

My plan postflop with this hand would be as follows.

Flop - I'd bet around 30c to fold out people with unpaired overcards and to stop somebody trying to steal the pot.

Turn - With one caller i'd bet again if there are no overcards, probably 50-66% pot, hoping to take it down. If I get called/raised i'm done. With two or more callers I'd check/fold if they're medium-deepstacked, because I dont think i'm ahead often enough and i'm OOP. If a shortie pushes all in for less than the pot then i'll call if the others have checked or folded.

River - If the turn was checked around I'll bet half the pot and fold to a raise. I'm hoping to get value from any donkeys that called with second pair or TPWK. If i'm heads up against a single opponent who called my turn bet i'll check/fold because I think i'm beat.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:05 PM

I lead the flop. You have top pair and a decent kicker. I expect your hand is good, so bet about $0.40.

The turn card is fantastic. If called on the flop I'm ready to slow down or give up, but with this turn I fire again, ~$1.

On the river I c/c since I can't call a raise.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:38 PM

Ok thanks everyone!

I understand the river bet wasnīt good play. (He folded anyway. He has to fold 27% of the time only, so maybe it wasnīt THAT bad?)

I am still insecure about the flop.

Bet it - all right, but potsize in a small pot might get called even by random hands in at least one spot (given the number of opponents, and the game being NL10), which leaves me oop without further information.

A larger bet will get called only by better hands.

Check-raise - well, that will work most of the time, but that is more like a complete bluff that can basically be done with any two, right? I canīt see any worse hand calling a check-raise at all.

Check-call makes me feel like gambling, too. But as a check might seem weak, they might bet more hands than they would call with.

Well, all right. I am basically complaining about having a so-so hand out of position. Sorry for that. But anyway, now that I have it, Iīm just trying to understand how to play it a bit better.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:35 PM

I say Bet it out.

Reason:
Chances are you have the best hand right now, but your hand is quite vulnerable. In addition of me being OOP, I'm happy to pot-size it and take it down right now. If not, betting can at least narrow down the field.