Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 PM

Default What?!? America?

Yeah that's right America.

I'm 21 in 3 months and my brother is 19, yet he looks older than me and we have both been to SE Asia, Europe and Oceania and next year we'd like to go to the US of A. A mate of mine went across country and stayed in a village where they'd last had a foreigner about 20 years before and he was like a local celebrity(apparently).

There are places both on the east and west that we want to go but is the central also good too?

We are from England and literally know nothing about America except that the south isn't racist (this was from the one american I know). It seems from everything that USA is a country of amazing diversity and that is something we both want to see.

As most of you are american can you suggest places/things to see as we want experience the REAL america.

Cheers
Old 10-15-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 10-16-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: What?!? America?

Damn, that's a huge photo.

As a tourist, I would recommend San Francisco.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 PM

I'm a bit confused by your first sentence. I'm not sure if this was your intention or not, but were you wondering if he would have problems with drinking or getting into bars? Because he wouldn't be able to in most cases. However, a friend of mine was underage and used a fake ID from the UK and it worked perfectly.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:37 PM

I also wondered why the notion that his brother looks older than him was important. The age will be a problem when it comes to renting cars, and when it comes to drinking. If you have a fake ID you should be set. Bars in the US is generally very strict when it comes to ID, Im 27 and look my age but still I have to show ID at places where Ive been like 50 times before. But I do not think the average bar will be able to tell if your European ID is fake or not.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:30 PM

You should skip the middle.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:18 PM

Don't worry, his brother will be 21 by the time the visa is approved.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:01 PM

Go to Milwaukee, catch a cab and tell the driver that you want to go to an ordinary American bar.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:51 PM

Go to a baseball-game and eat all the hot dogs and nachos you can handle, then eat some more. Then you have already covered one very American activity.

If you want to see the middle you should aim at a relativly big city, the prairie isnt that exciting once you have ben there 5 minutes. If you are going to the middle of US I would go for the southern parts, it gives you a stronger feeling of America than upper mid-west.

One good thing to know about America is that people are generally a lot more welcoming and easier to get in touch with than your average European, more friendly and helpful. If you get a chance go to NASCAR-race and a rodeo, it gives you the American experience you will not find anywhere else.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One good thing to know about America is that people are generally a lot more welcoming and easier to get in touch with than your average European, more friendly and helpful.

[/ QUOTE ] Depending on where you are. People from New England and NYC aren't very friendly in general. The thing about the US is that it's very regional--there are a lot of small Americas rather than a single American culture.