Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 AM

Default My opinion was different than others, but same as the floors....???

wynn 5/10

Player 1 is the SB, player 2 is UTG, player 3 is in MP.

Player 1 has $10,000, player 2 about $6000, player 3 about $700.

Unraised pot.

Flop

2-4-7 two diamonds

Player 1 checks, player 2 bets $50, player 3 raises to $100, player 1 calls, player 2 re-raises to $350.

At this point player 3 is still stacking chips from a pot she dragged where she was almost all-in. She thinks for a second then proceeds to count out her chips in front of her cards. She stacks them into $100 stacks ($10 chips)and then pauses once she has them stacked. They're about nine inches in front of her cards. After she's done stacking her chips and presumable counting them, she pauses for a second, then player 2 wants to know what she's doing. Then player 1 says that what she just did constitutes a call. Player 3 says she was counting her chips and she's still deciding her action. Player 2 now says that she has to at least call the additional raise. The floor is called and while we're waiting on the floor player 3 mucks her hand.

The floor rules it isn't a call, the other two players adamantly disagree and call it at best a total angle shoot.

The chips were in front of her cards, and she did move them forward when she went to count/stack them.

At what point is forward motion defined?

Fwiw, player 3 did seem to be counting her chips, but she also also moved them forward of her cards to do so, then mucked her hand when they called the floor on her.

Her chips were definitely out of her "space" so to speak, i.e., they weren't in the middle of the table, but they were about a foot in front of where most players keep their chips, but she never verbally declared her action, and the other players didnt say anything until she had counted out all $600 remaining chips, which would mean it would have to be ruled some sort of string bet anyways, because she went back for more chips from the pile about ten times.

WTF.

I thought it was just a novice player/no call, the others thought it was an angle shoot/call.

-Tex
Old 09-05-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Re: My opinion was different than others, but same as the floors....???

Sounds to me like the player was simply stacking chips. I'm not sure exactly what angle they thought she was shooting, or what they supposed she was gaining from this action, but I don't see that she gained any unusual advantage here. You are right, it would have been a helluva string bet too.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: My opinion was different than others, but same as the floors....??

Sounds like an angle shoot from the other players to get her money in the pot when they have a strong hand.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 AM

Can you be accused of string-betting when calling? Or did you mean, OP, that it would be a string bet if she was viewed as raising all-in?

If I was the floor I'd just caution her to be more careful about where she counts her chips.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Re: My opinion was different than others, but same as the floors....???

[ QUOTE ]
The floor is called and while we're waiting on the floor player 3 mucks her hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
KITN?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:53 AM

The proble have here is why does a player stack there chips 9 inches in front of their cards? To me thats absurd to not think she was calling. Its different when they do it close but if I'm sitting at that table and I see a player reach that far out in front of them when the action is on them I'm going to think they are betting not counting.

Whats the angle. Well perhaps the angle here was that she was looking for a reaction from player 1. Perhaps she figured that if player 1 was going to simply call or fold he would have done it quickly when he believed he was committed, but if he was going to raise he was going to wait until she had finished. Maybe she figured that one of these players was the sort who would be screaming "strinet" if there hand was weak.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 AM

This would have been a call at the Wynn.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:40 AM

s/b a call...
Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 AM

Was the dealer completely passive in this whole affair?

Seems like player 1 should have shut up and waited for player 3s answer. Player 3 doesn't sound like a clear angle shoot, but are there really that many novice B&M players that sit down to play the 5/10?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:29 AM

I don't see anything here that looks like a call. It looks like she is stacking her chips.