Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Ubuntu 7.04 messed up after a kernel update, then I messed it up more

After the update on Sept. 1 2007, my system would no longer boot. I came here and looked around and thought I'd found the solution, but I managed to keep digging myself into a deeper and deeper hole. Maybe I should have started a thread about my personal configuration earlier. Oh well.

First off, a run down of my system. I'm running Ubuntu 7.04, the 64 bit version on an intel core2 quad 6600. I have four hard drives configured to use RAID. The first 15 GB of each drive is for a RAID 1 array, all of them tied together and found at /dev/md3, subsequently mounted at / and housing the OS. The second partition on each is a 1 GB section configured for RAID 0 at /dev/md1 for swap. The remaining space is RAID 5 at /dev/md2 and mounted at /home.

The story so far:

I noticed that there were new updates on Sept. 1. I installed them, rebooted, and my system wouldn't boot. It gave the error:

mdadm: no devices listed in conf file were found
kinit: name_to_devt(/dev/md1) = md1(9,1)
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/md1

and then it failed and hung. I'm a fairly new Linux user, so I wasn't entirely sure what this meant. I rebooted and went to see if one of the recovery or older kernels would boot. The default was the 2.6.20-16-generic kernel, and that clearly didn't work. The recovery mode of that kernel also didn't work. However, 2.6.20-15-generic did boot. I was happy, but I wanted to figure out what was wrong, so I poked around on the internet. It looked like other people were having problems along the same lines, and it was due to a changing UUID. So, I looked in /dev/disk/by-uuid/, and the uuids that were listed were, in order,

1ea0e25d-af04-45fd-ae72-3a2101c77dc2
4edffc0a-8b0b-4ffd-a407-8eb6e7683690
f7904142-c378-4b14-9568-5c3885fee4f5

This matched the contents of my fstab file:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre># /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# &lt;file system&gt; &lt;mount point&gt; &lt;type&gt; &lt;options&gt; &lt;dump&gt; &lt;pass&gt;
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/md3
UUID=4edffc0a-8b0b-4ffd-a407-8eb6e7683690 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/md2
UUID=f7904142-c378-4b14-9568-5c3885fee4f5 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
# /dev/md1
UUID=1ea0e25d-af04-45fd-ae72-3a2101c77dc2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0</pre><hr />

However, it didn't match the UUIDs in my mdadm.conf file:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre># mdadm.conf
#
# Please refer to mdadm.conf(5) for information about this file.
#

# by default, scan all partitions (/proc/partitions) for MD superblocks.
# alternatively, specify devices to scan, using wildcards if desired.
DEVICE partitions

# auto-create devices with Debian standard permissions
CREATE owner=root group=disk mode=0660 auto=yes

# automatically tag new arrays as belonging to the local system
HOMEHOST &lt;system&gt;

# instruct the monitoring daemon where to send mail alerts
MAILADDR root

# definitions of existing MD arrays
ARRAY /dev/md3 level=raid1 num-devices=4 UUID=33b790d8:9fc71f6c:afb8cfea:0559d799
ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid0 num-devices=4 UUID=4bc70788:2120d41e:354c1e17:779ac6bc
ARRAY /dev/md2 level=raid5 num-devices=4 UUID=f6535af8:1b0fcafe:95e489b7:a428db60

# This file was auto-generated on Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:54:42 +0000
# by mkconf $Id: mkconf 261 2006-11-09 13:32:35Z madduck $</pre><hr />

I figured this was the problem. So, I made a backup of mdadm.conf and changed the UUIDs in the conf file to match the other two sources, although I changed the spacing to match how it was done in the mdadm.conf file:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre># mdadm.conf
#
# Please refer to mdadm.conf(5) for information about this file.
#

# by default, scan all partitions (/proc/partitions) for MD superblocks.
# alternatively, specify devices to scan, using wildcards if desired.
DEVICE partitions

# auto-create devices with Debian standard permissions
CREATE owner=root group=disk mode=0660 auto=yes

# automatically tag new arrays as belonging to the local system
HOMEHOST &lt;system&gt;

# instruct the monitoring daemon where to send mail alerts
MAILADDR root

# definitions of existing MD arrays
ARRAY /dev/md3 level=raid1 num-devices=4 UUID=4edffc0a:8b0b4ffd:a4078eb6:e7683690
ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid0 num-devices=4 UUID=1ea0e25d:af0445fd:ae723a21:01c77dc2
ARRAY /dev/md2 level=raid5 num-devices=4 UUID=f7904142:c3784b14:95685c38:85fee4f5

# This file was auto-generated on Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:54:42 +0000
# by mkconf $Id: mkconf 261 2006-11-09 13:32:35Z madduck $</pre><hr />

Well, something about that turned out to be a mistake. Now could I not only not boot to the -16 kernel, I couldn't boot to the -15 kernel either. So, I hatched a brilliant plan to boot to the live cd and copy the mdadm.conf.backup file I'd made over the top of the current, broken mdadm.conf file. That's why we make backups, after all. Well, naturally, the live cd didn't recognize any of the RAID stuff, but I could still mount and examine the contents of /dev/sda1, sdb1, sdc1, and sdd1, so I just restored the backup file on each of the drives individually. This also turned out to be a mistake. I did something like this earlier when a lab mate with an identically configured workstation had screwed up his xorg.conf file. Ubuntu recognized that something wasn't quite right with the RAID 1 array, and it fixed it automatically. Not so this time. When I'd try to boot to the -15 kernel, Ubuntu thought something was quite wrong with the file system. It actually got me to the log in screen, but I'd try to log in and it gave me an error about my home directory not existing. It'd then log me out immediately, saying that I should maybe try a failsafe session. Well, the failsafe session didn't work, either.

So, here I sit typing in a post on the forums here having booted once again from the live CD. Apparently I need more hand holding through this than I thought. Any help you guys can offer to help me recover from my series of mistakes would be much appreciated.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Ubuntu 7.04 messed up after a kernel update, then I messed it up more

I'd cross post this to the Ubuntu forums if you haven't already.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Ubuntu 7.04 messed up after a kernel update, then I messed it up m

Yeah, I did. I was putting some feelers out here, too, since I didn't get any response over there.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM

Wait a minute... so you booted off a live CD, found the RAID1 contents on all the drives, and replaced the contents on each drive with the backup mdadm file?

Would it work if you recreated the RAID1 manually while running off the live CD and then copying the file over the broken one?

This is precisely why I don't like software emulated raid for system partitions =/

Did you set up all this yourself as a Linux n00b?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:44 PM

Yes, that's what I did, and yes, I set all this up myself. I'm not a total n00b when it comes to Linux -- I've been using it for the last 3 years -- but it still manages to break in new and interesting ways.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that's what I did, and yes, I set all this up myself. I'm not a total n00b when it comes to Linux -- I've been using it for the last 3 years -- but it still manages to break in new and interesting ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, ok. I thought you had just recently started using linux, and began your quest with multiple arrays across 4 drives. If that were the case, I'd say your computer was having problems because your massive balls were making it feel inadequate.

I think the best course of action is to try to reinit the raid1 from the live CD manually and fixing the broken mdadm.conf. It seems like copying the file across all 4 drives should do the trick, but it feels like it's cheating and I think the computer knows it.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say your computer was having problems because your massive balls were making it feel inadequate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rofl. Awesome.

I'll definitely look into doing that tomorrow. I guess I should be able to download the mdadm package while my OS is loaded in RAM from the live CD and go from there?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say your computer was having problems because your massive balls were making it feel inadequate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rofl. Awesome.

I'll definitely look into doing that tomorrow. I guess I should be able to download the mdadm package while my OS is loaded in RAM from the live CD and go from there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a quick google for mdadm live cd brought up the ubuntu software raid guide with this excerpt

[ QUOTE ]

If you boot up the ubuntu desktop live CD and need to access your raid, then you will need to install mdadm if you want to access any software raid arrays:

Code:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mdadm

[/ QUOTE ]

So it should be totally possible and the best way to go about a restoration.

Here is that thread for reference.

Looks like you should start by trying the autoscan feature of mdadm

[ QUOTE ]
Alternatively you can use:

Code:

mdadm --assemble --scan

and it will assemble any raid arrays it can detect automatically.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-03-2007, 11:48 PM

Oh, that's hot. That's a lot for your help. At the very least, this will let me get some work done by working with the stuff I have in the RAID 5 array as a stopgap before I fix it for good.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM

Well, Freakin, thanks for your input. It was quite helpful in helping me get things back online. As it stands now, all my UUIDs in everything that needs a UUID match /dev/disk/by-uuid/, and yet the -16 kernel still refuses to boot. I managed to get my -15 kernel to boot, though, after I un-corrupted my RAID 5 partition (/home), not that I'd done anything to corrupt it, and then discovered it had been converted to ext2 in the process, and that I needed to convert it from ext2 to ext3. As it stands now, the solution to my problems is to set the -15 kernel as the default in menu.lst and give the -16 kernel the finger.