Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Default so I started table selecting...

And I'm down like 9 BI. hmmmm.

I select tables by

1) looking for any table where there are 2 or more players with vpip > 30. I seem to be losing big on these.

2) Looking for buddies - these are calling stations, fish, people that felt with TP etc, in other words players easy to exploit for profit. These, thankfully, are usually profitable tables, esp if the retard in question has got lucky and has a big stack.

For (1) I'm usually playing at around 14/8/2, and I'm pretty sure I'm playing fine.

What the hell is wrong here? Should I select using different approaches?

How do you select?

I'll probably be going back to using buddylist/whatever tables are open soon. It worked much better for me.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: so I started table selecting...

I table AND seat select db.

First I like to have a 9 seat table with at least three VP$IP>25%. I watch carefully as the table progresses thru the night to be sure to maintain AT LEAST two... like you.

Second, and more important IMHO, is seat selection at a table. I don't want:
(1) an aggressive yahoo on the CO or button when I'm a blind

(2) call stations in the blinds when I'm in CO or bttn.

The way I see it, it does me no good to have a fish at my table sitting across from me. I'll rarely get a shot at him, especially if there is a shark or two between us.

Target your fish....but from close range db.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:50 AM

Some regulars will play at any 12 tables. Some will leave the worst from time to time. Some are always joining the best games, follow them.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:44 AM

Seat selection is very important like King Spew wrote. In addition to the factors he mentioned, positioning yourself in relation to stack sizes also needs to be considered. I always try to have position (sit to the left) of the big stacks and keep the small stacks on my left when possible. This allows me to have better position in order to maximize when playing against the bigger stacks.

I always consider the other basic seat selection factors first, such as keeping the loose/aggressive players on my right and tight/passive players to my left. If, after playing at the table for a few orbits (enough to get some stats on my opponents) I don't see at least one loose or bad player with a decent sized stack I'll find another table.

When searching for a table to sit at, in the lobby I look for tables that have 7 or 8 players, and I won't sit at any table that has less than 30% Plrs/flop.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:46 AM

I just look for high vpips in the lobby. I used to look at pot size but that averages on like the last 10-20 hands and isn't really an indication to willingness to throw money around. Also it seems anytime I sit with some random 40/4 spewtard I get raped by rivered two pairs and etc.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:55 AM

I try to do some table selection based of VPIP but it is not nearly important as it is in 6 max. A lot of full ring regulars just are not that good to begin with anyways.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to do some table selection based of VPIP but it is not nearly important as it is in 6 max. A lot of full ring regulars just are not that good to begin with anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, plus its just hard to table select period at mid stakes cause there just arent that many games going.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:29 PM

I select tables by VPIP and average pot in the lobby. Yet, when you start playing more tables, it becomes a little less important. Plus: I often think if I would make table selection too much of a science, I d loose profitable time at the tables...