Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 04:17 PM

Default (razz) is this more like it?

Opponent is tight (26% vpip / 13% pfr). Reasonable aggression, good showdown numbers, haven't seen him do anything rash.

4th I almost always bet in this situation and I don't mind if he raises. (Meaning, any time I have a board liek this and I'm unpaired, not in this case, where I would love a raise)

5th: A smooth draw is ahead of a rough 8 and he's got a rough 9 so I know I'm ahead, probably 60:40. I figure I'm probably showdown bound so I want to get an extra bet in here.

6th: I'm no longer a favorite but I don't think I'm a dog to his range. Looks like 50:50. I think at worst I'm like a 60:40 dog. Actually worst case looks like 65:35 but I still can call.

7th: I'm actually ahead numerically but I don't think he's going to bet a 9 into me here. Still I think it's worth a call with the best 9.

Razz ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (9.60 SB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.80 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (9.80 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (11.80 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (13.80 BB - $6.90)
Old 08-31-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: (razz) is this more like it?

I like all of it.

I wouldn't do anything different.

Tx.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:34 PM

ni han, you must call the river - perfect.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:55 PM

Where's the cutoff with calling the river here? I really expect him to have a 98 on 6th and some of the time he'll improve to an 8. So calling with the best 9 is kind of a hedge, I figure to lose sometimes when he improves, win when he doesn't, and win when he didn't have a 9 to begin with.

But what about a T? My pot odds are OK but I have to figure he was FOS to win it. Also, he could have been drawing to a 9 on 6th and still have me beat on the river.

Instictually I think I'd call with a T most of the time, but I'm not sure how sound it is. No way do I call with a J
Old 08-31-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where's the cutoff with calling the river here? I really expect him to have a 98 on 6th and some of the time he'll improve to an 8. So calling with the best 9 is kind of a hedge, I figure to lose sometimes when he improves, win when he doesn't, and win when he didn't have a 9 to begin with.

But what about a T? My pot odds are OK but I have to figure he was FOS to win it. Also, he could have been drawing to a 9 on 6th and still have me beat on the river.

Instictually I think I'd call with a T most of the time, but I'm not sure how sound it is. No way do I call with a J

[/ QUOTE ]
Rusty, go back thru the hand and put the villain on a range of hole cards. Then figure out what you need on the river to call him with and what you can safely fold. If you can successfully do this you will able to make your "tough" folds on the river without giving up big pots.

Like some NLHE donk once said (sbrugby I think), most players have a straight on the river and think "I've got to call, I have a straight!" What they don't realize is that if all you can beat is a bluff, then you might as well have A high.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 PM

Well, with a T all I can beat is a bluff. There is nothing in villains range where he won't have a 98 at least except a hand with an 8 in it. A83, 283, 483 isn't impossible but I don't see him 3-betting it on 3rd. So I guess maybe 9 should be my limit there.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, with a T all I can beat is a bluff. There is nothing in villains range where he won't have a 98 at least except a hand with an 8 in it. A83, 283, 483 isn't impossible but I don't see him 3-betting it on 3rd. So I guess maybe 9 should be my limit there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Its possible he outdrew you on the river, but you will be good more often than not.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:50 PM

If I were Seat 6 and Hero raised with the K on 5th, I'd just assume he was drawing to a wheel. So, I'd assume he had the made T. So, why am I betting the river with my rough 9? If Hero doesn't make his hand or improve it, I won't get paid off, very likely. If he does improve, I'm toast and going to get raised if I bet. The only hand that's going to call me is a better one than I am showing. So, I'd be c/c ing the river to avoid being raised.

So, I get Hero's call, but I'm not sure why Seat 6 bet. I'd call, too, if I was Hero. But then I'd be real surprised if I won.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:10 AM

I'd consider raising the river for value.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:52 AM

Oh - seat 6 didn't end up with a 98, that's why he bet. I see your logic, although most players won't. I get raised a lot in spots like that because I'm showing 2 bad cards. "You raised me showing KT? I reraise!"

I still think it's OK to call with my 9 there just in case it was a desperation bet but it's something to think about.

blumpkin: does the fact that he bets out not affect that decision? There is no way I'm folding a hand that beats 98.