Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 09:55 PM

Default NL2 - Overplay AA OOP?

Villain is 65/35/1 over 20 hands, Villain has called pre flop raises with very mediocre hands and will float c-bets.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($0.95)
Hero ($5)
UTG ($1.35)
MP ($4.94)
Button ($2.31)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $0.08</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.25</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $0.17.

Flop: ($0.53) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.35</font>, Button calls $0.35.

Turn: ($1.23) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.75</font>, Button calls $0.75.

River: ($2.73) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $0.96 (All-In)</font>

Should I maybe have slowed down on the turn fearing the worst? I hate to put people on the hands that scare you the most though in situations like this where the villain has not pushed back at all. I know my bets are too light on flop and turn, but I was scared of the K, which I assume shouldn't have affected the amounts of my bets though. Let's say I thought there was a 75% chance that villain had a K by the river, would his short stack justify a call at all? Wondering how others would have played it.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: NL2 - Overplay AA OOP?

Hi TTStrangler - Here's my take

Preflop - Fine

Flop - You're OOP so you want to define your hand. Since its a paired board you don't really need to C-bet the full pot as there are no draws here that scare you, I think you're bet is okay. At this point you're either WA/WB and most of the time WA

Turn - I like a bet here vs this villain but there are very good arguments for a check. First, since there are no draws, you have no reason to continue to 'protect' your hand. If AA is the best, its likely to stay that way. Betting again will get most hands you beat to fold out, and only get the hands that beat you to stay in. A smart opponent may be able to fold99 or 10/10 here after all your aggression. Checking the turn both helps you increase value versus weaker holdings (pairs below KK) and limit losses vs Kx.

However vs at 65/35 player (though 20 hands doesn't really make up much of an accurate range) I don't mind betting AA here for value figuring he'll call you down with weaker hands.

River is an easy call at this point. Its 1$ into nearly a 3$ pot so you're getting between 3 and 4:1.

The biggest thing you need to realize here (IMO) is that your bets on other streets are not light considering the board. KK25 is NOT a scary board in terms of drawing hands, quite frankly you either CRUSH him or are crushed. Considering your opponents loose image, I see nothing wrong with looking him up here - since more than 25% of the time you'll see a non-K hand.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: NL2 - Overplay AA OOP?

You can't overplay AA against this type of player in 2nl. If you got it all in at any point except four flush, four to obv straight... nice hand. Bet more on flop and turn. River check to induce push is good against some players but you want to move in here most of the time.