Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Default OT: URGENT - Hurricane approaching a close relative - What to do?

Apperently there's a hurricane/tropical storm in the caribbean named Felix. A close relative of mine is at Curacao. Her cell works but she cant get any info. She's hiking or some [censored] and ask me for advice.

For [censored]'s sake I've never have to worry about hurricanes before. Where to get info?!? Please I'm on tilt/panic. CNN good?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: OT: URGENT - Hurricane approaching a close relative - What to do?

goddamnit where the [censored] is curacao
Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 PM

From accuweather:

"Tropical storm warnings are now in effect for the islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. Tropical storm watches remain in effect the northern coast of Venezuela from Cumana to Pedernales, including the island of Margarita.

Hurricane Center forecasters are forecasting the storm will reach hurricane strength by Sunday morning as it takes a track just to the south of the path of Hurricane Dean. The storm is forecast to be at Category 2 strength when it makes landfall over Central America sometime late on Tuesday or early on Wednesday."

wtf does this mean? what do i tell her?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:57 PM

First of all, plan to leave IMMEDIATELY if you live in a mobile home, beachfront property or a high rise building.

Before the storm comes, make sure family photos, photo ID and security documents and home videos are stored outside your home in a safe place.

Prepare to cover all windows and doors with shutters or plywood. Secure or bring in lightweight objects such as garbage cans, garden tools, toys and lawn furniture. Keep extra cash on hand for emergency purposes. Develop a family emergency plan, detailing how family members are to evacuate the house and where to meet.

During the storm:

1. Listen closely to a radio tuned to NOAA Weather Radio or official bulletins for hurricane information
2. Evacuate to a safe location if instructed by officials
3. Turn refrigerator to its coldest setting and keep it closed
4. Turn off propane tanks and unplug small appliances
5. Fill bathtub and large containers with water for sanitary purposes
6. Stay in a small interior room or closet, ideally without windows
7. Do not attempt to drive through or across flowing water, or cross areas where water is flowing (moving water as little as 6" deep can sweep you away)
8. Stay away from standing water (it may be electrically charged from downed power lines

The best thing to do is to be prepared. You usually have several days notice before a hurricane happens. Before it hits, bottle up some water from your own tap. Old milk jugs work well for this. Just wash them out. Duct Tape your windows and THEN nail boards over them. If the glass breaks, it won't get everywhere because of the tape. DO NOT use a generator during the storm unless you absolutely have to. If you do have to, keep it in a well ventilated area and NOT IN THE HOUSE. The garage is a place you might be able to use. I suggest you get several lighters and several candles (60 or so tealights is good). If you can, get some Sterno Cans at SAM's Club. They work well to cook with if you aren't evacuating. Unplug ALL electrical equipment, including your refrigerator! It can catch fire. Get a battery operated radio (you can even get them at Dollar General). Get 2 extra sets of batteries for it as well. Get a few flashlights and extra batteries for those as well. Pack an Emergency Kit! This includes: 2 changes of clothes, a pair of sneakers, a first aid kit, 2 rolls of toilet paper, 2 bottles of water, 2 flashlights & extra batteries, 1 battery powered radio w/ extra batteries, some CASH, list of important phone numbers.
I recommend that you get some non-perishable food, such as Granola Bars, Fruit Rollups, Instant Oatmeal, etc. These are high energy foods and need little to no preparation at all.

Pack an emergency kit NOW. Even if you are evacuating, there are times you may not have any notice or time to get things together. Call a relative in another state and tell them what your plans are! Don't forget to keep cash in the emergency kit. One problem evacuees have is not being able to access their accounts, etc. Having cash on hand is always helpful, so use it only as a last resort.

I can't find any advice on what to do in a hurricane when your outside so I'm going to assume get inside!
Old 09-01-2007, 02:00 PM

Ok thanks. My action may seem amusing but for me (living in northern europe where nothing ever happens) hurricane in the caribbean = angry godzilla on the loose in japan for americans
Old 09-01-2007, 02:16 PM

Yea don't panic man. Just tell her to get back home straight away and monitor radio/tv as there should be local evacuation plans if they're needed.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:27 PM

of all the places on the internet to post this question or get info...I feel you made the wisest decision putting it here.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
of all the places on the internet to post this question or get info...I feel you made the wisest decision putting it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

get cancer.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:12 PM

if he trusts people on 2+2 leave him alone. i think you got amazing adivce from slimon. hope your relative is ok karp
Old 09-01-2007, 05:48 PM

She'll be fine.

It's probably only going to be a Tropical Storm when it hits there. It won't be a major hurricane until it hits Belize. I honestly wouldn't even worry about it, assuming she'll be smart enough to, you know, not go hiking on a mountain or something when it blows through.

Ryan