Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Default What sort of learning curve/goals should I have as a newbie ?

Hi everyone;

I've been lurking for a while, havent seen a post that covered what I wanted to ask, so thought I'd plunge in...if it has been covered , please feel free to point me in the right direction !

I've just started playing poker online after about a month or so's experience ;

I'm starting out with about $120 bankroll, but as I'm very aware I'm new, I'm playing small/microlimit Limit hold-em tables (.10 /.20 ) to get experience with hopefully a suitably adequate bankroll..

I've also read a couple of books (notably GSiHE & SSHE).I understand the basics and have a grasp on some of the more advanced concerpts (but far from all of them). I also use PokerSpy to try to analyse my past hands.

I've also played WSOP2 the computer game as preparation (although it being only a computer it is of limited use no doubt ,but it did tighten my game up a fair bit.).

SO here's the question:

What would be reasonable goals/expectations for someone new to poker in say the first 2,500/5,000/10,000/20,000 hands ?

My eventual target would be to become a good player (I'll never be a great player)...would 3-5 years be a suitable timescale if I work at it (assuming about 3000-4000 hands a month)

<assume I'm moderately studious but only play online. >

Of course, taking for granted variance will affect my results !

I'm currently breaking even on Party Poker after 2000 hands of 10c/20c and I think my luck is probably about even over those 2000 hands...yet dont know if that sucks as progress for a newbie or is doing ok.

I'd appreciate thoughts !
Old 09-03-2007, 02:47 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: What sort of learning curve/goals should I have as a newbie ?

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to become a good player in a few years. As for goals, winning anything is great. Moving up might not be a bad idea; the players at your level are so bad that you ought to be fully bankrolled for .25/.50.

If you do that, then I think $25 for 5,000 hands (1bb/100) is doing alright and $50 is better.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: What sort of learning curve/goals should I have as a newbie ?

Hi.
If you havenīt allready, read this to start with:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID=

// M