Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Tough spot on flop with Jacks

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $105.20
BB: $82.25
UTG: $36.50
CO: $139.10
Hero (BTN): $98.90

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG calls $1.00, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $15.50</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $10.50

Flop: ($33) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $20.00</font>

Pot Size: $53.00

I have played with villain quite a bit this week. My read on him is that he is a semi-LAG like myself and really does not donk his chips off. His 3-bet in the small blind is an obvious sign on strength and I would fold this against a small stack. On the flop, I am about 38% against aces and worse against Kings because of lost straight outs. I think I have good fold equity against A,Q and maybe a little against aces or kings. He folds everything else. What would you do?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Tough spot on flop with Jacks

I would call and see what the turn brings.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:22 PM

I'm villain in this hand FWIW.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:30 PM

i dont mind a shove but im not really sure
Old 08-31-2007, 02:55 PM

Fold to his raise preflop. What's villange range here? 99+, AQ-AK? Even that is pretty loose for a raise OOP. You're putting in 15% of your stack in a situation that is almost sure to be very difficult to play postflop. What flop are you hoping for? All rags, and you shove.. even with QQ-AA making up a big part of villain's range?

As played, villain makes a smallish bet on the flop. I think he usually wants action with that bet, and I'd put overs as big part of his range, and he could also easily have trips. I think if villain missed this flop his cbet stab would be more than 20 given that very drawy board. Yet the drawiness doesn't seem to bother him here as I think he's probably prepared to go all the way.

Calling is really bad because of stacks. I don't like shoving since I think you're beat most of the time and you have little fold equity.

So I fold.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold to his raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I really wish everybody gave my 3-bets from the blinds this much respect. Would be a nice change from getting 4-bet like every other [censored] time.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:02 PM

He could be 3-betting you because he thinks your pfr was a steal. But i dont think hes leading out because he thinks you miss. This is a really bad flop to c-bet on but i dont fold pf since you are in position and he could be 3-betting you with a lot of hands worse than JJ. As played i call the flop bet and if i dont improve he still has to act first.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold to his raise preflop. What's villange range here? 99+, AQ-AK? Even that is pretty loose for a raise OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Do you even play poker?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:05 PM

if hes really aggressive why don't you come back over the top pf? as for flop i think i still call, good chance our hand is best, if not you still got outs. Its tough b/c our read isn't so great. Does he ever repop from the blinds and check flop when weak? Depends how light he repops from the blinds too. Because its loosbastard tho i at least call.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a really bad flop to c-bet on but i dont fold pf since you are in position and he could be 3-betting you with a lot of hands worse than JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really think he's full of it here that's another story. In this case I think it's far better to reraise pre than to just see a flop. But if you do that you have to be prepared to get it all in preflop since reraising essentially commits you to all in if he shoves.

Or if you're calling based on read that he's messing around you pretty much have to shove his cbet on about any flop. But I think it's better to repop preflop because if he makes it close to a pot size bet on the flop he may well call your shove simply because of the good pot odds he'd be getting.