Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 11:43 AM

Default NL25SH Overbetting the pot

I read some article here on 2+2 which reads: When you grind NL25SH don't forget to overbet the pot in certain spots, because people will call you.

So... when do you guys overbet the pot? What sort of opponent do you do it against? So far I only overbet with runner-runner flushes, which occur very rarely since you are usually not planning to suck out on your opponent in that way. But when they hit, they are highly unbelievable and you don't get two-pair+ to fold by overbetting.

So whats your 2cents on overbetting?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: NL25SH Overbetting the pot

its okay to overbet sometimes vs. obvious retards. ie. overbetting a boat (like 22 on a 2TTxx board) or something like that. or straights/flushes when they are concealed (think A3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on a 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] board or like J9 on a 7TK2Q board).

also, your opponent really matters. if he's likely to stack off with any TP just keep going for value, which is a likely spot alot of micro NLers miss imo. just figure out your opponent's range, and if you feel you're ahead, vb the [censored] out of it.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 PM

you want to overbet pots that villain could only call with a limited, but powerfull range like orange's post in front of me.
If the guy is gonna call a 2TT board, you cat pretty much say he has an overpair, or TPTK, or even TPWK, or a flush draw depending....all those hands in this spot are easy calls to any bet...IMO

Also, you want to overbet to cancle their implied odds when they are drawing up on you, since alot of players at our limits play a VERY wide hand range, you should OB the flop somewhat in many situations......but if he calls and you have TPTK the you have to exercise pot control depending of course....
For more info read No Limit Holdem theory and practice, i dont have the book on me right now but theres a whole chapter on bet sizing that is pretty good
Old 09-02-2007, 12:38 PM

I love to overbet when it looks like i've missed the FD and made a straight instead. Straights in general are good for overbetting, because they are less obvious to your opponents at uNL.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:37 PM

Stuff like TT (or 8x for that matter) on 88984; KJ on QT98x board. It's easy to shove a massive bet into a smallish pot and get called by hands that expect to chop but loose instead.

I'll also overbet when the pot is small but I hit a miracle turn card. Like for example,

I raise 4x BB 22 in MP; 3 callers.

Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (16BB)

I check OOP (Don't want to cbet on this board vs that many callers); it gets checked around.

Turn is an offsuit 2. I'll overbet the pot here.