Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 04:03 AM

Default TurningStone Trip Report Aug 2007

I was writting this as I went but the last few days I was busy and got behind and ended up not wanting to finish it after a bad FT. I'm terrible with names and I usually associate people with their avatars so if I couldn't remember don't feel bad. I finished but didn't spend too much time looking it over because I'm lazy. Hope you enjoy it tl;dr ect, whatever.

TurningStone Trip Report Aug 2007

Sunday-
Played the Sunday tournamnets at my cabin with my brother Dave (NLSoldier) and his friend/roomate Jay (JRockets) at my cabin. We packed at 3:00am and left for the airport around 4:30 to catch our 7:50 flight. Our flight went fine and we got to TS around 2:00pm where we meet up with Billy (Girgy44) who lives with us durning the summer but was in Chicago visiting friends. Dave and Jay go to sleep, me and Billy go get food and try to get money where I fail at getting any more than $500 in $20s. We were too lazy on Sunday to go to the bank and now I was stuck with no money for a while. We go back up to the room and I take a nap around 4:00.

Monday-
I am woken up at 8:55 in time to register for the FTOPS Event #7 $1k 6max which we all play. Dave was at Bakes' table for a while and after he busts I get moved to Shaundeeb's table where he has 18k around 120/240/25. I had 6k and double up calling all-in with AA. I played a hand with Shaun where he opens the button with AJo and I call with KxQh flop is K94 2 hearts, I check call turn is an 8h I check he checks river is another heart and I check call again. Shortly after he gets all in against me with 77 vs my JJ and I win. I ran hot gg Shaun.

Shortly after me and Jay are all-in at the same time when we both win I have 50k and he has 35k. He gets pwned on the money bubble and busts shortly after. I hover around 50k for a while and win TT>QQ for a pretty big pot. My friend Russ (Loosefer88 who is also at TS) got moved to my table which was funny because before it started I talked about going to his room to play it with him. I am opening my button like 85% of the time he folds 3 times in a row, shoved on me the 3rd time he had AQ I had KJ, 4th time I open KK he shoves around 16bbs with Q9 and I hold up. Then he came to our room to sweat the rest of the way. Pretty slow grind to the final 3 tables not much action, I had a 2 nits on my left, one of them took 6th while he ticked his timer down all the way every hand and always folded, I was able to open my button 100% of the time and suddenly the guy started playing better and opened more and 3bet me constantly. This killed me and I had to play tighter. Suddenely it went from 18 to 10 players and we got to the FT very fast becaus the other tables were busting people like crazy and our table wasnt doing much so we were very short going into the FT. A bunch of guys came in to sweat shortly after Gobbo won the TS $340 bounty. (Gobbo, Randal, Clayton, Bigballs and Noah maybe a few more) I was the short stack and restole with 44 and 77, open shoved a few times. The nit timebanker took 6th and I busted shortly after when I shoved T2s on the button and ran into the sb's AJ. It was my biggest cash ever for $65k and I didn't have any regrets about how I played so didn't feel too bad about now winning.

Tuesday-
Went to bed around 4:00 and was woken up at, what I was told was 9:55, and I freaked out because the $300 6max touramnet started at 10:00. It was actually only 9:30 but I had to be lifed out of my bed and dropped on the floor to wake me up. The 6max $300 kinda sucked I got good cards that I didn't get action with and I got played back at when I was making moves on people. One time I 3bet an active player with A6s and got check raised all in on a T high board. I made one bad river call on a KcQc9c2x2x board with QxTc when the guy had not only the A high flush but the 2c to go with it. I won a pretty decent pot when the sb limped at 75/150 I shoved about 18bbs with A8o he thought for a while and called with ATs said "I was trying to trap you." I turned an openender and rivered an 8. A few hands later I open KQo to 425 and get called on the button, an active internet looking guy and the sb who was a middle aged terrible player. Flop was J99r. Sb checks I check active player bets 1100, Sb folds and I figure small-mid pps is a large part of is range and even against a J I'm a 35/65. I c/r to 3200 with about 2k behind he thinks for a while and puts me all in with AJ I miss my gutterball and 2 overs. When I get back to the room I log into FullTIlt and am happy to see how much I have in my account. I sit 300/600 HU to see how long it takes for somebody to sit with me. Suprisingly it took close to 10 minutes with Larz sits with $56,913. I don't post the sb and sit out. I say "I'm not going to play you if you are short." He snap reloads and I sit in and don't post and insta leave. This got me off tilt and I was feeling good again.

Afterwards me Dave and Jay meet Ansky and a few other guys to the Emerald. After eating I pretty much hung out in Adam/Gobbo's rooms with Nath, Randal, Adam, Adanthar and Exit. I busted pretty early in the Super Tues 100r and some other touramnets. Shaundeeb and Bigballz showed up around 1am when Adanthar, Nath and Exit were close to the money in the FTOPS Omaha 08 tournament. I left around the money bubble because there were too many cards for me to handle watching and went to bed around 3am. Exit ended up taking 16th and Adanthar 4th for 17k. The highlight of the tournament was when Bigballz said "You could be raising any 2 here..." and Me being introduced to Shaun he says "Have we met before?" I say "Yeah the FTOPS."

Wednesday-

Woke up in time for the $500 tournament. A young player comes to the table late and I play a pot with him in his 1st orbit. 4 limps to me at 25/50 I limp 46o the young player in the sb calls and bb checks. Flop 357r. Checked to me I bet 350, sb raises to 800 I call thinking it will be easier to get it in on the turn than make an akward looking 3bet. Turn 2 brings a club flush draw which I have none of. He leads for 1k I Jam for around 3.5k total. He thinks a while and folds what he later told me was 35. I didn't get much for cards had 2 internet players on my right who were opening quite a bit and I didn't have much to 3bet with. At 75/150 one of the internet players in the 3 seat raised to 425 I 3bet in the SB to 1325 with KTo he called. Flop is Q9x I bet 1600 he calls turn blank I check fold to his 2200 bet. I chip up a little when I raise a bad player who limps with JKo he calls flop KTx he check calls my 800 bet. Turn is a blank and he check folds. At 100/200 I had been opening a few more pots I open QJo utg+1 to 550 and get called by the button who had been calling a few raises and 3bet once in the last orbit. The other intenet player who I hadn't played a pot with raised to 1775 I jammed for about 7k total he called with AK and I lose.

I went back to the room and slept for about 5 hours and woke up to go to the Rodizio with Dave Jay and Billy who had over slept the $500. We got done and I nearly lost credit card rollett in the final elimination in which Billy ended up losinng. We got back to the room and played the FTOPS 300rebuy 6max. We all ran pretty terrible in the 1st hour and busted in the 3rd except Jay who went out 127 when 120 paid. AQ<QQ. Billy cashed in the PS 320 and busted 99<JJ and Thayer FT'ed. The rest of the night was spent watching a total fish play 50/100 and 100/200 HUNL on FTP. He was buying in for 20-40bbs and just jamming over button raises and open jamming sometimes with Q7o ect and always reloading and losing again. I sat at a few tables 25/50 through 100/200 and finally got him at 100/200 with 4k. Me, Dave, Jay and billy all split the action. We play a few small pots with him until we open 99 he shoves A7 we call. Board AAxx9. Then we raise the button again with JJ and lose to his A4 and he leaves. A few minutes later we play him 50/100 and take 4k off him before he leaves. Another 5 minutes later he sits with Dave who is also sitting at a 50/100 table. Dave loses with Q2vs57 on a Q77x7 board when the fish check raised the river AI to bust Dave's account and we thought we were out of luck. He sits with me again at 50/100 with 3k and we stack him and stack him again with AQ on a Qxxxx board vs A high. He doubles through us with our KQ losing to A5s when he shoved pf. He got 80bbs deep and started to play pretty standard. It was obvious that we had an edge but we were playing pretty nitty. He didn't give us action with Aces all 4 times and started to c/r flops so we quit him because he wasnt gambling like he was when he had 40bbs or less. I go to bed around 5am.

Thursday

Hand to wake up for the $1k at 10:00am registered last minute and got in about 10 minutes late. I was at a table with Ansky on my right and Roman on my left. 3rd hand I played a middle aged guy raises a limper to 400 and I for 3bet to 1200 without thinking twice with AKs. As I'm putting the chips in the pot I realize his raise to 400 was 8xbb. It folds back to him who shoves and I fold. [censored] -1200 already. I don't really remember any hands, Nitsky lived up to his name and won a total of 1 pot while I was there. When I am UTG my 2nd card dealt to me hits my finger and the Ah flips over. Whatever, it is replaces by the 6s and I squeeze out the Ac underneath, Oops. Next hand Roman, who has been active, makes it 300 utg at 50/75. The middle aged guy from the previous hand calls and I 3bet to 1100 with AA! Roman shoves for around 4700, old guy folds and I call. He has TT and hits a gutshot on the river when the turn gave me a FD. Busto from the 1k.

I go back to the room where Dave is already playing online. He busted with T6vsA6 on a 664 board. We decide to go into town to get some food, water and beer. Our cab driver tells us funny stories about the town and the arsen that has been happininng. He said, "It used to be a nice town where everybody smoked pot and drank nobody gave a [censored]." "Now if the world needed an enema it would be shoved up right here." We get back to the hotel room and Dave goes back to sleep for a while, I decide to go to the Lodge Resturant with Ansky, IWEARGOGGLES, MrBigQueso, Plautsburg and a few other guys. The resturant is closed from 2pm-5pm so we are forced to go to the Emerald. I dont lose credit card rollette again and afterwards we decide to go to the driving range on the golf coarse. By the time we get there the weather has turned bad and there is lightning followed by some intesne rain which Goggles declined to jump over a bush and roll around on the ground in for $300 during.

I got back and watched Jay play in the 1k for a while. He busted with Ak<QQ in a blind battle vs the eventual winner. When we got back we sat around for a while and played wii while trying to get the same fish HU at 50/100-100/200. He played about 20 hands with us and hit and ran for $99. Luckychewy came to our room and we played some Pong and ordered pizza. Bigballz came over with Adam8. After a while we all get in the mood to do some degening on the pit. We get down there and see a bunch of 2+2ers at a craps table. Shaundeeb, Bakes, Billy and Jay taught me the ropes of craps while I followed along and proceeded to win $300. Billy seemed to be rolling forever and it was awesome because he got a little out of control when he won telling the pit boss that they are going to have to tear down the tower when hes through. When we started running worse at craps everybody wanted to go play BJ with Shaun but we couldn't find a table so we played Texas Hold'em Bonus. I was running pretty good but I was Martin Gailing and I had to put up $40 for my ante. I said "I want a hand here more than I've ever needed one." Seemded pretty accurate at the time considering I hadn't posted an ante yet playing poker this trip, this $160 seemed like a big deal. I was dealt AA but if I woulda put the bonus I would have won much more. After being dealt aces I was over this stupid game and went to play BJ with Dave Billy and Jay, then went to play O8 with the 2+2ers. Later that night me and Bigballz tried to go play BJ to parlay our $300+ freeroll. The 1st hand I got confused and realized I sucked at BJ if I wasn't playing with somebody who knew how to play close to perfectly. We found a solution by getting Shaun to play with us. I won around another $100 and 12 of us went to the Emerald. I remember listening to AEJones talk about how his friend loved to level the old poeple playing live and I thought it was really funny but then I realized that I was probably a victom of this in the $500. I went to bed soon after around 5am.

Friday-

I am woken up and was told to get up to play kickball but I decided to play the 1k sat at 4pm instead. I woke up just in time to play and ended up getting a seat after 8 hours of brutally boring play. There were no real interesting hands. I went to bed around 3, wasn't awake too long but had to get up for the $5k the next day.

Saturday-

Wake up for the $5k ME around 9:30am and go down to the tourament room. I am on a table with all sattilite players from the day before because Turning Stone is stupid and put us all together. I played pretty tight cold called a few times with mid pps in the 1st 2 levels and hit a set at 50/100 in a raised pot. Phwap raised and was called by the sb and me in the bb with 55. Check, I decide to check and Phwap bets 700 into 900 on a J57 FD board. I c/r to 2500 and he folds. The main reason why I c/r'ed here is because didn't want him to get away cheaply if he didn't have anything and wanted to get a cbet out of him to slow him down from raising every other pot. He folds and shows JTo.

At 50/100 I flopped another set from the bb in a multiway raised pot and C/red again which I regret I don't remember why. By this time ActionJeff got moved to my table and was 2 to Phwap's left. They played some pretty interesting pots together where AJ floated him and a few hands were Phwap Iso'ed a few limpers or 3bet an LP raise and AJ called in the blinds and donked the flop and he folded. 50/100 ActionJeff who had been active makes it 300 utg and an oldbad guy calls I 3bet to 1300 with KK and get called by a guy on my left in the CO who was kinda bad spewy but not terrible. ActionJeff calls and the old guy folds. Flop KT7r Actionjeff checks I check a set for the 3rd time and the CO bets 3600. Jeff shoves for about 9k I think and I jam for about 12k total. Jeff shows J9s for a double gutshot and I fill up with a T turn.

I win another big pot when I raise the old guy from the previous hand with AA he calls after limping in EP. I flop the balls again on a AK4r board and check through. Turn is another brick maybe the 8d brining a flush draw. He checks and I insta bet 5k he calls and folds the brick river to a jam for another 4k or so. I play another pot with him when I have AKvsAJ on a A7897 board and get another 5k in chips out of him after he won an allin.

At 100/200 I raise KK utg and get called by a new guy to the table in EP and 3 other guys 2 in LP and the sb. Flop K77 (lol I can't run any better) 2 clubs. blind checks I check old guy in EP bets 1800 and everybody folds. I c/r to 5k and he calls. Turn off suit T I bet 7.1k and he jams for around 23k I call and he turns over 88. I slowplayed every big hand I flopped and I was very fortunate to get paid off like I did. It was nice to be able to play like an idiot and not be worried about the people I was playing with to have any clue what was going on, unlike HSMTTs online where you actually have to play straight up.

A few hands before the break Roman raises a limper to 1100 at 100/200 maybe a 25 ante. I 3bet on the button to 3300 with KK and he calls with around 7-8k behind. Flop is QJxr he checks I check, turn Q he checks I check. River blank he checks I check I win vs his TT. I think I played this hand fine but it was kinda weird.

We get back from break and one of the 1st few hands a new guy limps utg for 300 I raise on the button to 1350 with ATo. He calls and the flop is QcJcXx he checks and I bet 2.2k he calls. Turn beautiful Kx. He checks I bet 4.4k. He calls. River off suit 2 he checks and I ask him to move his arms to see his stack and I verify in my mind that I left him with about a pot sized bet left. I say allin. He starts to hymm and haww and I figure hes never going to call at this point so I decide to freeroll and test my live talking 'skills". I say "I think you missed your club draw." And he gives me a weird kinda look so I figure its working. He messes around with his cards for a while and slides his chip protector off and I quickly follow taking my green chip off and putting it back into my stack and putting my hand on the cards trying to trick him the best I can knowing its a freeroll. After this he quickly announces Call and I flip over the nuts. He showed JKo I think. I still don't know if he was going to call I thought there was a very good chance he was folding afer the chip protector thing he did. Its not a move I would do against anybody that is capable of seeing through it I'm on but I think it inticed him to call, maybe I'm just stupid though and he was going to call all along.

G-p I think opened utg to 1k at 150/300 and I reraised to 3200 on the button with QQ. It was hard to tell how many chips he had buy I would guess around 25k. He calls and the flop is 3d4d5c. He check calls 5500 turn is a Ac. Checked through. River is an off suit 5. He bets his remaining 7 blue chips. I tank and fold. I don't remember if I had the Qd I don't think I did. This hand was tough and I really wanted to fold because I think my nitty image would make me an easy target to bluff there but he hadn't been at the table for long. Bassicly I narrowed his range down and I really didnt like check calling the flop with 66-JJ and those were most of the hands that would have turned into bluffs by the river. He later told me he had 45.

I played extremely nitty the these levels getting no cards and whenever it was folded to me I had T3 and just decided to wait and keep my image the way it was. I played a few BvB battles but stayed very inactive. One hand ADZ134 limped at 200/400 which was uncharacteristic of him but I didn't think too much of it. I raise with 2 cards to 1500 its folded back to him and he gives me some speach about how "now hes raising me when I limp, where were you when I had a hand?" and he reraises 6k on top with like 26k left. I thought for a while and folded he then told everybody he had AA and kept asking people about how he played that hand. I had no idea if he was joking or not but he asked like 5 people about it and kept asking me what I had. It seemed to irritate him so I kept my mouth shut and told him the only way I was telling is if he changed his stars avatar to a picture of my face.

A while later Roman raises to 1200 and I 3bet on the button with AQ to 4k planning on calling a 3bet for like 10k more. Sb jams for like 28k we both fold. I don't remember playing any other hands probably becuase I was the nittiest nit ever and was cool with it. I could have used my stack a litte more but I decided to try and play my image and find some good spots to 3bet and steal pots but no good opertunities arose and I was ok with it.

End of Day 1 chip stacks: Me 83k, Jay 48k, Billy 13k, Dave Busto. I ran hotter than god and practicly played everyone of my big hands like a total fish because when I flop top set against old people its hard to get action luckilly it worked out and I got people to pay me off drawying dead.

Sunday-

Day 2 I go into the same table with 38 people. My game plan was to continue playing tight and play a little more aggressive in possition. I start off by losing a few pots such as raising JTs after a limper who shoves. Raising and getting 3bet by a tight guy. Being in the bb and raising the tight sb who limps and getting c/red on the dry flop. Raising AQ and checking flop and turn folding turn on T22x board. Then I play the first big pot of the day. I didn't feel like I was tilting but in reality I think my judgemnt was a little skewed and felt like I had a huge target on me that day. Folded to me in the sb at 300/600/75 I open limp Q7o against this tight older guy who was decent and had 2 wsop curcit rings from smaller games such as Hose and something else. flop is QJ8r I bet 1100 he raises to 3k I call. Turn is an 8 that brings a heart draw. I c/r him all in and he calls with 98. I pretty much turned my hand into a bluff that would blow off higher Qs and not let him draw cheap. But I think I really miss played this hand. At this point I was down to 45-50k. yuck. A standard middle aged live player which I will use to refer to this type of player the rest of the post (SMALP) raises to 3k at 400/800/50 and I reraise to 9k with KK he thinks for a long time counting out chips and calls. Flop K45 he shoves 20k into me and I call he shows 99. Another huge gift. Later on at 400/800/50 another (SMALP) raises to 2500 on the button I call in the sb with ATo. 678 flop checks through turn J I bet he calls river 9 I bet he practicly shoves and I call he has T6s for a chop. Next orbit he opens in the CO to 2500 and I 3bet to 7k with AA. He thinks counts the amount for a call thinks more counts out his whole stack and repeates for about 2 minutes and goes allin. I recheck my cards and call. He tables AQ and somebody immidiatly says they folded a Queen I hold for some more chips. 105k at this point. I played tight again for a long time. 3bet AQ against ADZ who called and check folded the Kxx flop said he had 67s later. I called his MP raise and donked the flop Q8x FD flop with KQ he folded.

Billy busts out with QQvsKK. Jay is still in but dwindling. Jay busts when he shoves over ADZ's utg raise with JJ and runs into AA. (800/1600)I continue to play really tight ADZ limps in MP I limp behind with A9cc on the CO and Henry calls on the button. Flop is A35 1 club. ADZ bets 2k I raise to 6500, Henry cold calls and ADZ calls. Turn is the 6c. ADZ checks I check Henry bets 10k. ADZ calls I call. River off suit 2. ADZ checks I bet 16k figuring that they will fold their 2 pairs. Henry tanks and calls with 64 and ADZ folds and shows A3o. I feel like a retard and am knocked down to 50k.

We are in the money now at 1200/2400 and I don't remember much else until we get in the money and Allin@420 raises the CO I shove 20bbs in the BB with 44. He calls with JKs and I win a flip. Back to around 90k. I 3bet Ryan when he raises utg with AQ and ADZ folds TT in the BB Ryan folds. I raise in the CO with JJ to 7k Allin@420 shoves for over 60k and I call. He shows A6 and I win. I raise on the button with AJ and duece2high shoves for about 15bbs I call and he shows JK. I win and we combine tables at 10 to end the day. I have 204k which puts me in 2nd after Henry Tran with about 270k.

A bunch of guys go to the Emerald (GP and Ryan who were both at the FT, AEJones, Ansky, Shaundeeb, Exit, Nath, Kingdan and a few more people who I forgot because they left early. I went back up to the room and went to bed pretty early.

Monday-

David and Billy had already left to see their girlfrineds so it was just me and Jay who went down to the FT. The final table consisted of g-p, Randal, Ciggerrette guy(CG), Henry Tran, Tony, Me, ADZ and Ryan. The 1st big pot I play was at 1500/3000/500 when Tran raises he button to 8500 I 3bet to 78cc in the bb to 29k, he calls. Flop 8x5c3c or something I check, Tran quickly bets 11 pink chips for 55k making a super easy shove for me with 97k more. He thinks forever stands up talks to himself for about 3 minutes under his breath and says something like, "You want to see a hero call?......I call." He calls off 97k more and I flip over my pair+flushdraw am amazed when he turns over AT no clubs. I stand up and I'm worried for the 1st time in the tournament, if i would have flipped out before I didn't care, but having him drawing to 4 outs twice for the CL at the FT would be terrible. Turn and river are bricks and I scoop a huge pot. A while later Randal raises in the HJ Tran calls and I squeeze with AQ they both fold. I raise QQ randal shoves about 20bbs with KQ and I call. He flops a K and is back in it with around 160k. An orbit later I raise ATo on the button to 11k, ADZ 3bets in the sb to 34k and I jam. He calls with KK and I lose on a JJTxx board. This was probably my biggest screwup of the tournament but I still don't think it was a bad play the way ADZ was playing and the super nitty image I had he has to be folding tons of hands there. I think I'm forgetting a bunch of hands here but it is 6 handed and I shove KQ for the 2nd time on the button and get called by Ryan in the bb with AQ, QQxxK board I double up and start bleeding away chips once again. I had tons of marginal hands like JKo/AT that I folded utg and 77/99 that I folded after the pot was 3bet pf. Tony was in a big pot where CG min raises the sb and Tony calls in the BB (4/8k). Flop AxJdXd CG shoves for like 150k and Tony flips out and throws his IPone under the next table over. He folds after showing the Ad and looks like hes on tilt. Next hand folds to him in the sb and calls I shove any 2 which happened to be 64s he tanked and called with 88 and flops a set. I took a very dissapointing 6th for 26k.

I went to get some food with Jay and shook off the dissapointment which was easier than I had anticipated. I guess its easy to accept 26k ontop of the biggest heater of your life. Spent the rest of the day hanging out and packing. Woke up on Tuesday at 10:00 or so to cacth our 12:40 flight. We got there and we weren't in the computer. We then realized that our flight was at 10:40 and had to stay overnight in Syracuse to fly out the next day. We slept all day in a hotel in Syracuse and went to a steakhouse to eat. We flew out the next day with no problems.

Overall had an awesome time. Couldn't have asked for a much better result with nearly $100k in cashes for the trip and continuing my live hot running. I met a lot of 2+2ers that weren't there in June because of the WSOP. I'm really looking forward to my next trip although I am unsure when it will be due to school.

JSchnett

Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: TurningStone Trip Report Aug 2007

vn
Old 08-27-2007, 05:12 AM

vn trip report. congrats on the big week.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 AM

lol @ "Martin Gailing"

also that KK hand vs roman where you just checked it down was a bit weird, you dont think you can bet anywhere? are you ever behind after he checks 3 times/is there any benefit to showing your hand?

nice report, and impressive scores in both tournaments.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:55 AM

A+++++ would read again
Old 08-27-2007, 01:47 PM

yah ray I was thinking he has you on AK 100% of the time here and can make a hero river call with his PP a lot.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:08 PM

jschnett, what did you have when you flatted CG's opener OTB and took 4 minutes to fold when he overbet jammed on a 753 flop
Old 08-27-2007, 02:22 PM

Very nice read.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:15 PM

Nice read, you play good, dude.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jschnett, what did you have when you flatted CG's opener OTB and took 4 minutes to fold when he overbet jammed on a 753 flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the board was 9 high and I folded 88. I forgot about this hand. I thought he had AK but the way he had been playing he was clearly shoving a wider range here and apperently he told his friend he had QQ. I don't know, tough spot against that supid of a player.