Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 AM

Default CYA when doing the Iraqi surge assessments.

two interesting developments have come to light in the last 24 hrs regarding Sept. Iraq Surge assessments -

1. - This article in the Washington Post states the GAO found little to no serious progress in recent months, with only 3 of 18 benchmarks being met. The report has been LEAKED, since the DOD is still reviewing it. According to the WaPo, "The person who provided the draft report to The Post said it was being conveyed from a government official who feared that its pessimistic conclusions would be watered down in the final version"

Given the recent revelation that the NIE assessment was held back three times and watered down by Petratus prior to release, this is a reasonable concern. It will be interesting to see the Whitewash, er, White House version and if it differs.

2. - Pentagon won't make a surge recommendation to Bush - Top commanders are divided on what to do next in Iraq, and they're going to give their individual presentations to the President and let him decide the next course of action.

In other words, instead of presenting a unified Pentagon front as usual, they're airing their differences and punting to the Prez. to take responsibility for the next course of action. Anyone tired of carrying Policy water for a third rate administration will then be able to say they made a different recommendation when he chooses to continue the surge. Some pretty big names on there including Pace, Def. Secretary Gates, Admiral Fallon, and of course, Petratus.

Combined, the two articles suggest folks at the Pentagon don't think things are getting better, and expect more of that pressure from the top to conform to the Policy line, and they're pre-empting such pressure and putting it on the Decider to take the heat.

This at the same time loyal advisors and lackeys are jumping ship.

One almost thinks folks around there expect things to get worse....

RB
Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: CYA when doing the Iraqi surge assessments.

[ QUOTE ]
little to no serious progress in recent months

[/ QUOTE ]

So it looks like it's going exactly as planned.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 PM

gaw damn, the worst thing that could happen here is the Decider making more decisions.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gaw damn, the worst thing that could happen here is the Decider making more decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

No decision to be made by the decider in the U.S. as we know he has his mind made up. The question is what will Congress do and maybe just as important what will the Iraqi government do? I'm fairly certain Maliki's getting sick of the U.S. but maybe I'm reading him wrong.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:58 PM

I think this GAO report missed a big accomplishment by the Iraqi government, they cut short their vacation from 2 months to 1 month during the time period reviewed for the report.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No decision to be made by the decider in the U.S. as we know he has his mind made up. The question is what will Congress do and maybe just as important what will the Iraqi government do? I'm fairly certain Maliki's getting sick of the U.S. but maybe I'm reading him wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

What CAN congress do? I see a lot of bluster but no action or even an avenue for action influencing withdrawal/major policy shift other than winning 2008 election.

I think Malicki telling us to GTFO would be awesome. Then he can sit in his bunker amidst the bloddletting chaotic civil war as it erupts full scale and US forces can pull back to remote bases.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No decision to be made by the decider in the U.S. as we know he has his mind made up. The question is what will Congress do?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, you are quite right. The Decider already knows what he is going to do.

I don't think Congress will do anything, mostly because they have nothing to stand on. Only a few members of congress opposed the war from the onset, and they aren't high profile enough to make a change, at least not yet. Its likely nothing will change and we will continue to have more of our boys dying over there.