Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Moving to a New City...

Hey there, I just moved to San Jose, California from Arkansas and I know no one here, know nothing of any restaurants and am a bit skeptical of how ridiculously hot it is all the time here. I'm not really much of a bar guy, but I am into sports and normal early 20's stuff.

My question/topic for discussion would be a) can people from San Jose give me some tips with regard to what to eat/do and where to meet people in a non bar setting that would be cool. b) A more general "whenever i move to a new city i do X and Y. The first things I did when I moved here was look at Yelp, find well reviewed restaurants/stores which I will try out. The Winchester Mystery house is like 2 miles from my house and seems to be kind of a cool attraction and all the Santana Row stuff looks like super nice shops and stuff but kind of too expensive to actually hang out around. All of my neighbors seem older than me and kind of cold/on drugs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Moving to a New City...

This almost, maybe, possibly could generate interesting discussion -- except that reading your OP makes my eyes bleed....
Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This almost, maybe, possibly could generate interesting discussion -- except that reading your OP makes my eyes bleed....

[/ QUOTE ]

5 lines with no paragraphs was too much?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....in light of it being a Travel question, right? NT! must be clawing at his precious orbs too.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:04 PM

I read the travel sticky. But it seems like the fact that I now live in a city means that I am not traveling. I'm not asking "hey, what can I do while I'm drunk in Antigua" but more "When you move to a new city where you don't know anyone, what do you do?".
Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5 lines with no paragraphs was too much?

[/ QUOTE ]
Formatting 101. Actually, I think it was this travesty of a sentence:

"The Winchester Mystery house is like 2 miles from my house and seems to be kind of a cool attraction and all the Santana Row stuff looks like super nice shops and stuff but kind of too expensive to actually hang out around."

It hurts just to cut and paste it....
Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM

Threads like this are exactly why I'm not sure the Travel Forum is a good idea, or at least not make this a mandatory thread move to there. There could be 20+ readers of this (heavily trafficked) forum from the San Jose area who could be helpful, but maybe 1-2 visit that forum. It clearly helps to have posters who live there giving advice in this case, not just someone who has been there a time or two.

Also, let's go easy on the noob. He read the sticky and at the very worst is misinterpreting it.

Finally, LOL at "All of my neighbors seem older than me and kind of cold/on drugs".
Old 08-29-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Formatting 101.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

From Arkansas

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah our schools aren't so great. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2007, 03:24 PM

This is not a bad thread start, but the topic needs to be broadened to generate discussion beyond just San Jose. There are tons of 20-somethings who move to new cities and have no idea how to make new friends. Rather than having the thread topic be about you and hope that it generates broader discussion, the thread should have been started with broad discussion in mind and how that might apply to your situation in San Jose.

Cliffs Notes: I don't like Asian people from San Jose.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

From Arkansas

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh. My bad. You have my sympathy.