Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Default STT-Winner take all--different stratagy?

hi all,
I love reading everyones take on SNG situations and have learned a ton from reading this site. I decided to make a handle in order to start posting myself.

I have a question about different payout structures and how that should affect your strategy. I am going to be playing in a winner take all SNG (actually, 2nd place gets buy-in back). I would assume that the optimal strategy will be slightly different than the usual 50/30/20 payouts on Stars.

Would it make sense to open up slightly earlier in the SNG in order to accumulate chips...It seems to me that waiting for a couple players to bust and playing super tight early still makes sense, but less so b/c you need to end up with all the chips in order to make ANY money. Would you consider playing more speculative hands in position w/ odds than you would in a Stars SNG? Should I be raising JJ/TT UTG in the first blind level instead of just limping like I normally would?

When it gets down to 3-4 players, should push/fold mode still be applied (depending on chip stacks of course), or would it pay to play a little more tricky in order to trap someone for all their chips, rather than just stealing the blinds?

Any other considerations?

I don't know, i've trying to think this one over a bit and would love some insight from you all. thanks for your time!

myron
Old 08-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: STT-Winner take all--different stratagy?

Yeah taking chip ev into consideration more than ICM, there actually was a thread
started about the same topic just this morning.

Edit: Welcome to the forum
Old 08-28-2007, 04:28 PM

what the faq
Old 08-28-2007, 04:28 PM

sheesh, first rookie mistake. I will use search function from now on! **sheepish grin**

and thanks for the welcome!