Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Another retired NBA pro considering a comeback?

This time, it's former NBA power forward Charles Oakley of the once decent New York Knicks.

Throughout his 19 season career, he averaged 9.7 points per game, 9.5 rebounds per game, 2.5 assists per games, 1.1 steals per game and 0.3 blocks per game.

In his best season, he averaged 14.5 ppg and 13.1 rpg. He is a one-time All-Star and two-time member of the NBA All Defense Team.

There are two questions that really should apply to any situation like this:

1. Can he still play to the point where he would be competitive?

2. Would a team ever consider signing him? If so, which teams would they be?

-----

Most of all, do you believe that players who want to make these comebacks are simply deluded and just miss playing the game. Or are there ones that could come back and still help out?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Another retired NBA pro considering a comeback?

Oakley's been mulling about it for a few weeks now. If I had to guess, it's a financially motivated decision. He's on record as saying he won't be cheap. I read an interview where he said he's probably worth ~$25M (I guess he runs some car washes), but he probably plays too much blackjack with MJ.

Hollinger had a good article about all the comebacks. Reggie would have likely been the only successful one. He was still an above average player when he retired.. he even helped carry an injury/issue plagued IND to the second round of the playoffs(people forget they were a popular preseason favorite for the title). Oakley, Penny, and Houston were all really bad when they hung up their shoes.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reggie would have likely been the only successful one. He was still an above average player when he retired.. he even helped carry an injury/issue plagued IND to the second round of the playoffs(people forget they were a popular preseason favorite for the title).

[/ QUOTE ]

They had a hell of a team before the fight destroyed them.Heck, the fight started because Detroit was frustrated about getting their asses handed to them at home.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:38 PM

He has to be cash strapped from the millions he has spent on strippers and hookers. He apparently has a book coming out as well.

He wont come cheap? If he played for free I bet teams still wouldn't want him. Who would actually pay him anything substantial after what Grant Hill just got as someone who has played recently.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:48 PM

LOL at "I won't come cheap". This has to be a money grab, and a pathetic one at that. I just had to look at his stats - the last time he saw any meaningful minutes was nearly five years ago. Bizarre. And he's 43 years old.