Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Adjusting to more aggro game, being 3-bet more often (Theory post)

Quick background: I've played a fair amount of full ring no-limit live 1/2 and 2/5, and internet 1/2, 2/4, but until this summer hadn't played 6-max. In order to practice better bankroll management, and learn, I started playing 6-max online at .10/.25. I successfully moved up to .25/.50, and then earned enough to take a shot at 0.50/1.00. Was unsuccessful the first time, but now earned enough to take another shot at 0.50/1.00.

I play 22/17/3, and am following a general strategy of raising a lot in position. It has worked very well, but I'm running into trouble at 0.50/1.00. I'm getting 3-bet a bunch, and not just by isolated people at the table. Frankly, I've been very surprised by how aggressive the 0.50/1.00 game is. And I work hard on good table selection, so it's not like I'm sitting down with a bunch of solid TAGs.

So my question is what adjustments, generally, should I make? My general strategy is that, unless I have a read that I'm being 3-bet light by a specific person, I'm folding the vast majority of the hands I'm initially raising with. That means I'm continuing in the hand generally with only my premium hands AA-KK, AK, and sometimes QQ-JJ (unless it's deep stacked, in which case I'll call with all pocket pairs).

What's making it particularly tough for me is where I don't have a read that particular players are 3-betting light, but much of the table seems to be doing it (e.g., 3 people will 3-bet a couple of times each, w/o showdown).

I feel like pushing in sometimes with 99, AQ, and the like, but can't seem to pull the trigger without a specific read that a player is 3-betting light. Should I continue to grin and bear it (fold to 3-bets) until I get that specific read?