Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 06:25 PM

Default KK vs. potential AA in a huge 3-way pot

Hello, everyone, this is my first post here. Before I post my first hand let me introduce myself if you don't mind. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've been playing poker for about a year now. I don't play that often but I the last few months I did find enough time to play something like 4 or 5k hands per month. Currently I play at 0.5/1$, I am a moderate winner over 20k hands, yet I believe I still have a lot to learn (especially the blind battles) so I decided to join this forum.

Oh, BTW, is there any good converter for Titan Poker hands? Otherwise I will have to convert them manually...

Villain 1 (EP3) is 17/10.8/2.06 over 178 hands
Villain 2 (CO) is 15.6/11.5/2.28

0.5/1$, full ring:
Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

PREFLOP:
I raise, EP2 fold, EP3 3-bets, 3 people fold, CO caps, BUT and blinds fold, I call, EP3 calls.

Since I've been known as a tight player, I put both on at least TT+, AKs, AK

FLOP (13.5 SB): 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Is this a WA/WB situation? I'm only afraid of AA, AKs[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and perhaps MP3's TT, but if I'm ahead it's not in my interest to drive hands like QQ, AK and JJ out so I decide to play passively and see what happens.

Hero checks, MP3 bets, CO raises, I cold call, MP3 calls

TURN (9.75 BB): 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
MP3 bets, CO raises, I cold call, MP3 calls

5 didn't change anything. To my surprise, MP3 donks again, CO again raises and I cold-call hoping, that one of them is just overplaying QQ. The pot is to big to fold IMO.

RIVER (15.75 BB): 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO bets, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

No flush possible so AKs[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is not a threat but I'm still afraid of AA and thus I just check/call.

Comments?
(I almost never play like this and this was one of may most passively played hands but these guys were just so aggressive I decided to let them overplay their pocket pairs and hope my kings are good)

P.S.: Did I describe the hand the way it should be? (just asking because I'm still learning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 08-25-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: KK vs. potential AA in a huge 3-way pot

You shouldn't put your opponen on a hand. That doesnt help you much at all, instead make a range of hands that he may have... say AK, TT, JJ, QQ, (KK), AA. Then figure out how many combinations there are of each and then figure out how many of those you are ahead of. Then you rethink that hand.

PS, get pokertracker and use a hand converter to make your handposts more readable that way you get more answers.

welcome
Old 08-25-2007, 06:43 PM

This is a tough one, I hate these type of hands with AA. I think you should have led out on the flop, can't risk giving hands like AK a free card. You always have to worry about pocket tens on that flop, but still you have to bet and I believe re raise if raised on flop, you can slow down on turn if you still think he has the 10's, but you need to punish AK or possible flush draw here. The turn is a call IMO as you did, and the river a check and call as you did.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:46 PM

ur wrong actually about being fine letting AK hang around.. with AK one heart letting them see the turn for one bet is bad in this sized pot for sure (or without one heart for that matter)... but its not like ur donking will really make it more likely a raise will drive out AK behind since villain, MP3 will need to raise a worse hand vs ur donk which will show lots of strength or MP3 would have to have AK and fold to ur donk fearing the player behind will raise which doesnt happen much, so theres not reallya good path for u to take here and leading shows lots of strength so its not like ud like to 3bet a raise and calldown so I think ur line was fine there...

with the way the flop played out I think you can usually rule out AK from either so your up against TT+... I think ck calling down is fine, CO likely will play KK QQ this way (esp with u just cold calling and the flop donker not 3betting the flop with u caught in the middle, AA or TT doesnt seem likely for him or you so CO can play KK as the nuts or play QQ this way vs your two ranges the way the hands played out) and value bet it on the river for u the times CO has QQ and MP3 has JJ or QQ -KK also so mine as well ck and go for the overcall.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:54 PM

Converters don't recognise those poker tracker hands that were imported from Titan Poker. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] At least I haven't yet found one that works. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

And as for putting opponents on hands - in this specific situation I believe that their ranges can really be narrowed down to 3 or 4 different hands. But thanks for the advice anyway.

(BTW, this is indeed another thing I have to improve - putting opponents on ranges... comes with experience I guess)
Old 08-25-2007, 07:51 PM

i don't think you played it aggressively enough; you have the second best possible hand. get the flop capped and lead the turn.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:15 PM

Good description for the hand.

I would not have played your hand so passively though.

I would bet the flop. There is a possible if unlikely flush draw, and since the hand was capped preflop, its also unlikely that your aggressive opponents will fold.

Perhaps you kept some opponents betting/raising or calling on the flop and turn by your play.

But your check call on the river was definitely too scared play IMHO.

I understand that you have been playing for a short time, although you have played a lot of hands recently.

Now bet your good hands for value ! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2007, 08:23 PM

Hi All,

My first post also, so probably totally wrong.

Preflop: Exactly how I would have played.
Flop: At first I thought you should have bet, but l understand your point of not driving out the dominated hands. Once you got a bit of action I would have check-raised however.
Turn: Once again I would've raised, chances are one of them is on a flush draw, and you want to get rid of them.
River: Raise again.

Hope this isn't totally wrong, just what I would've do (still very inexperienced). Feel free to totally shoot me down :-)

Benno
Old 08-25-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi All,

My first post also, so probably totally wrong.

Preflop: Exactly how I would have played.
Flop: At first I thought you should have bet, but l understand your point of not driving out the dominated hands. Once you got a bit of action I would have check-raised however.
Turn: Once again I would've raised, chances are one of them is on a flush draw, and you want to get rid of them.
River: Raise again.

Hope this isn't totally wrong, just what I would've do (still very inexperienced). Feel free to totally shoot me down :-)

Benno

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post was fine Benno. Welcome to the forum. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 AM

this is perfect.