Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 10:37 PM

Default NLTRN Two-pair hosed?

This is about 15-20 hands in. No real strong reads at this point but a couple of things. He was pretty passive. He's thrown out a couple of bets here and there and has accumulated a small lead. He has not raised a hand yet. A minraise can mean a lot of things at this level, but I'm putting him on any ace or two highish cards (something like KT KQ AK, etc..) but this is just a guess. Anyway I hate folding to minraises, so I decided to take a cheap flop. My intention is to not get too married to top-pair, try to get a cheap showdown if I hit just a pair. If he has something like KQ and I hit two pair I know I can probably stack him. However the board gets worse and worse, what do you think? My river plan is check-call a reasonable bet, how big of a bet would you call?

Full Tilt Poker Game #3343651781: $10 + $0.50 Heads Up Sit & Go (25570085), Table 1 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 19:45:59 ET - 2007/08/23
Seat 1: kasmier (1,630)
Seat 2: waxhax0rs (1,370)
kasmier posts the small blind of 15
waxhax0rs posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to waxhax0rs [3c Kh]
kasmier raises to 60
waxhax0rs calls 30
*** FLOP *** [3h Kc Qs]
waxhax0rs checks
kasmier bets 120
waxhax0rs raises to 360
kasmier calls 240
*** TURN *** [3h Kc Qs] [Tc]
waxhax0rs has 15 seconds left to act
waxhax0rs bets 350
kasmier calls 350
*** RIVER *** [3h Kc Qs Tc] [Jd]
Old 08-23-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: NLTRN Two-pair hosed?

Bet more on the turn, you bet 350 into an 840 pot. You left yourself 600 or so behind. If you bet 600ish on the turn your river decision is easy. I'd rather see you opt for a double check raise than an underbet like this because you put yourself in a gross river spot.

As played you really have to check fold, what do you beat? Any hand you're putting him on beats you, even hands like K9, AT, Q9. Just so much that is beating you and not even a flush draw on the flop, I don't see how you can do anything except check fold.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:24 AM

I'd probably shove the turn, board is getting quite scary and there's a lot of river cards that are gonna make you wanna vomit.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:39 AM

Yes, I didn't really even notice the severe underbet of the turn. Shoving or raising a lot more and leaving very little behind makes the river a lot easier. Anyway, I checked the river, he bet 270 and I called. He had K5. Very confusing when a player limps a lot and suddenly decides to minraise K5, although he'd only had like 8 or 9 buttons at this point and so that's a pretty small sample size. Poorly played hand all around.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:52 AM

I don't play NLTRN, but is pf standard? Calling a pfr OOP, even a minraise, with k3o seems pretty gross to me.

That said, I'd probably just shove the turn. You have a little over a psb left, he clearly likes his hand a fair amount. I guess you could bet like 600 or so and just shove any river too.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:59 AM

As I said, poorly played all around. I dunno, I look at minraises as someone begging me to stack them and I can't help but oblige them. I have a hard time turning down 3:1 odds. I mean, even against Aces you're only a 4:1 dog and your implied odds are huge. I admit this is a part of my game I struggle with a bit (calling raises OOP).
Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 AM

Yea PF isn't good. Especially if you underbet turn, then preflop is very bad [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2007, 02:07 AM

Oh, and everytime you think about the sweet OOP odds you're getting, think about the bad spots you face OOP compared to OTB. You'll call less of these minraises with K3o type hands. Position > odds.