Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Mixed-up positions on lineup card...what happens?

Let's say a manager decides to have some fun and mixes up the positions on his team's lineup card. For example, LaRussa decides to list Rolen as the CF, Eckstein as the 1B, etc...but the players stay in their normal positions. What would happen? Is there a rule against this?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Mixed-up positions on lineup card...what happens?

who cares?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

No one "cares". I'm just curious. If you're not, I think I'll manage to get over it someday. I just need time...
Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say a manager decides to have some fun and mixes up the positions on his team's lineup card. For example, LaRussa decides to list Rolen as the CF, Eckstein as the 1B, etc...but the players stay in their normal positions. What would happen? Is there a rule against this?

[/ QUOTE ]

A legal fielding position for all players (other than the pitcher and catcher) is anywhere between the foul lines. The "positions" are really just for scorekeeping.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A legal fielding position for all players (other than the pitcher and catcher) is anywhere between the foul lines. The "positions" are really just for scorekeeping.

[/ QUOTE ]

This true for pitcher also?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I thought...do you think they would make some sort of rule if a manager started doing this, as to eliminate confusion for scorekeeping? Or would they just allow it?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 PM

pitcher and catcher actually have to be where the pitcher and catcher normally are
everyone else has to be in fair terrotory and behind the pitchers mound
Old 08-24-2007, 12:20 AM

That would actually be kind of funny.

Could the manager just list everybody else (except pitcher and catcher) as being a left fielder?
Seems to me this wouldn't be such a big deal either.

I believe that basketball teams/coaches turn in a lineup to the official scorer before the game starts and I believe they would list positions for each of the players although I'm not positive about that.
It used to be that this was always 2 G's, 2 F's and a C.
Now there are various combinations of this ranging from 3 G's and 1 F or 3 F's and no C.
I suspect the head-coach could turn in a line-up that listed all 5 of their starters as centers and it wouldn't make a difference.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Could the manager just list everybody else (except pitcher and catcher) as being a left fielder?

I believe that basketball teams/coaches turn in a lineup to the official scorer before the game starts and I believe they would list positions for each of the players although I'm not positive about that.
Now there are various combinations of this ranging from 3 G's and 1 F or 3 F's and no C.
I suspect the head-coach could turn in a line-up that listed all 5 of their starters as centers and it wouldn't make a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could see doing this if I was a HS coach. List all of my players at crazy positions that they aren't really at and then watch the retarded opposing coach throw a shitfit when he eventually notices and thinks its against the rules.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure a baseball lineup must consist of all 9 positions for scoring purposes.