Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Heavenly Sword : More PS3 woes?

Kotaku's first impressions of the newly released playable Heavenly Sword demo

[ QUOTE ]
"A demo is created to give players a taste of what they can expect once the full game comes out, and honestly if this is all they can manage to scrape together I am a little worried that this will be the whole game. So far all I am seeing is button mashing combat against endless waves of enemies interrupted by the odd interactive cinematic, and that's been done better elsewhere. Bad show."

[/ QUOTE ]

Just more bad news for the PS3 this holiday season. Even worse is that a game exclusively designed for the PS3 is now also suffering performance issues as many of the cross platform PS3 games have been. Seems like the best thing this demo has going for it is that it's only 5 minutes long.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Heavenly Sword : More PS3 woes?

Its an extremely short demo for one game. I don't think this adds to any woes whatsoever. If things are still looking iffy closer to the release date then i would worry a little, but not too much as its only one game.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:03 PM

Did you play the demo? I played the demo. The demo was 5 min long. Don't judge a game until.... its actually finished. I thought for what I played the game had a lot of potential. Yes it did seem a bit jaggey on FPS. Control movement also was a bit flimsy. People said the same thing about the halo3 demo. "It looks like exactly the same game." Even though obviously you only saw one piece of the game.

It seems like your post was more focused on bashing the ps3 than the game. As you can see the issue of which console is superior has been discussed in many other threads.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:12 AM

What did you expect from the title? I think purchasing a PS3 at this point in time is a terrible idea. This game seems to be more objective evidence of why this is case. The fact that one of the most anticipated exclusive PS3 releases is now suffering performance issues, as most cross platform PS3 titles have, is extremely relevant.

I'm sorry you didn't like my post. I have not misrepresented any of the facts and I think people should be aware of what they're getting into if considering purchasing a PS3 this holiday season - which is why I posted this. I didn't mean it as incendiary to anybody who already owns one.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:51 AM

Dire,

how much are you paid by MS for the viral marketing?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:01 AM

I bought my PS3 as a total entertainment package and think it was well worth it. Until better games come out (and I'm still playing Resistance & Oblivion to death) it is my DVD player (which looks incredible through HDMI cables), blue ray player, cd player, mp3 player, linux box, and PS1/PS2. All this for the price of a blue-ray player and I have yet to return it (I bought it on opening day).

BTW demos are incomplete, buggy, and usually not optimized. Basing an entire console's future off of one demo is suprisingly retarded.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:54 AM

You do realize this game is coming out September 12th, right? This game has most likely already gone gold; if not it will be any day now. I wouldn't have made this thread if this was a beta test, or some proof of concept thing. It wasn't. The demo was a sample of the final product released to entice players into purchase. If the performance and clunky game play was something they could've fixed in a week or two, they would've released the demo a week or two later. Or maybe you think they just decided to release the one level that really brings out the suck in the game? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

This is useful advice for any other demos you may download in the future. If the game is coming out in a matter of weeks after the demo was released, and the demo sucks... well, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:49 PM

From wikipedia:

"In episode 18 of the NBC TV show Heroes, titled "Parasite", which aired March 5, 2007, Micah and Jessica are seen playing Heavenly Sword. This was almost six months before the game's scheduled release date. Additionally, the episode is set in early November 2006, just before the launch of the PS3.

The sequence that Micah and Jessica are playing in Heavenly Sword is identical to the recently released playable demo."

So more than likely this demo was created last year at some point. I would be suprised if they spent a lot more time on it since then.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:10 PM

I have never played a demo that is not mostly demonstrative of the final product. Unless it is stated that things are specifically left out of the demo or it is restricted in some way, it makes absolutely no marketing sense to create a horrible demo as a marketing tool to entice players to buy a game. Oftentimes demos are the first level in a game or something like that, so I think it's more likely they showed that same first level or whatever in both the television show and the demo rather than release a year old build. The only time a demo is not likely to be representative of the final product is if it is something like the Halo 3 beta, where it was released 4 months before the finished product, and even then I doubt it will be much different, maybe slightly more optimized and polished.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:44 PM

My point was simply you can not see how good or bad a game is based on 5 min of gameplay. That is just not realistic.

That goes for any game. People said the rendering on Halo3 seemed tuned down for true HD graphics.

If the game when launch, still has issues, it will be quite disappointing. You just cant judge the game until seeing finished product.

The insert about Heroes is correct. It was the same demo basically and that was like at the beginning of the year when they prob filmed that.