Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Damages

Anyone else catch the pilot of this FX Glenn Close show...I liked it a lot and it's on my Tivo season pass now...

Damages

While I could see the main plot twist a mile a way, I was still absorbed in the characters enough to make it worthwhile...

plus, there's another different kind of twist they're experimenting with: the beginning of the show shows a main character all bloodied and half naked...the police pick her up and begin to piece together what happened. The rest of the show is a flashback to 6 months ago with small jumps to the present. I'm assuming the whole season will be like this and won't get resolved until the end. Interesting.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Damages

I just turned this off when the main girl's fiance's sister turns out to miraculously be a key witness in the girl's first big case. Up until that point I had no idea where the show was going and didn't really care, so the contrivance was more than enough to put me over the edge. Bye-bye, Damages.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:11 PM

Just watched the pilot last night. Interesting, but I see myself getting annoyed with it quickly as they string you along never getting anywhere.

Prediction in white:
<font color="white"> The bloody girl is acting in an attempt to win her case, but is not actually involved in a crime/incident. Damn she's ambitious! </font>
Old 08-06-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just turned this off when the main girl's fiance's sister turns out to miraculously be a key witness in the girl's first big case. Up until that point I had no idea where the show was going and didn't really care, so the contrivance was more than enough to put me over the edge. Bye-bye, Damages.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are less clever than you imagine. Maybe that wasn't a coincidence?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:31 PM

I haven't seen this show yet, but I have read that it is very contrived. Something about how the girl in the show couldn't interview for a job with Glen Close because it's her sister's birthday, and then Glen Close shows up at the wedding in the bathroom or something? It sounded terrible from the description.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else catch the pilot of this FX Glenn Close show...I liked it a lot and it's on my Tivo season pass now...

[/ QUOTE ]

When DO you have time to play poker?...or make movies?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So Glenn Close is that much of a badass that she somehow knew this girl had this connection to the caterer? That's annoying, too, but certainly less lazy than the coincidence scenario. Whatever, either way the show was annoying.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So Glenn Close is that much of a badass that she somehow knew this girl had this connection to the caterer? That's annoying, too, but certainly less lazy than the coincidence scenario. Whatever, either way the show was annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Los,

Watch the rest of the episode. It is somewhat explained. Any drama on FX requires a suspension of disbelief. Best to avoid if you are annoyed.

Wikipedia is saying it is not intended to be an ongoing series, but a one-shot deal. That might make me stick around.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:41 AM

So is anyone still watching this? If so, what are your speculations about the old man with the stroller in last night's episode?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So is anyone still watching this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, even though I find it pretty over the top in its melodrama. I'm sticking with it, because, why not, but it's nowhere near the level of other F/X shows like RESCUE ME let alone THE AWESOME [censored] SHIELD.

[ QUOTE ]
If so, what are your speculations about the old man with the stroller in last night's episode?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, there has to be a reason Katie's an important witness. Since we know she never saw or recognized the guy in the limo, then we know she couldn't immediately torpedo Frobisher that way. But obviously, since Patty has gone through so much trouble to involve Katie (she hired Ellen simply because she was Katie's future sister in-law), then clearly Katie knows something.

Patty only recently got information that Greg had Frobisher stock. Until then, she must have had other dirt on the Katie/Greg scenario, and that other dirt HAS to involve stroller dude. Therefore, stroller dude is the broker or whatever that Frobisher met with in Palm Beach, probably the same broker Greg knew and bought Frobisher stock from. If she saw him in the house when she was drugged up, then she can torpedo Frobisher.

When Greg says to stroller dude "she doesn't even remember you," he is trying to clear her -- but stroller dude doesn't want to risk anything, so he arranged for Greg to feed Katie the Luke Richards lie to discredit her. Either way, Katie can't ID stroller dude in Florida, and thus can't torpedo Frobisher.

The biggest flaw in this subplot is how retarded Katie is. First of all, how did she let herself get talked into being a witness for Patty? She doesn't even remember anything from Florida, so she knows she's no use. Then her dog gets killed when she even threatens to go to Patty (of course, Patty killed the dog, but Katie doesn't know that). She should at this point realize to hell with it, it's not my case, screw these people, and move on with her life, the restaurant, let Patty find a real witness.

Secondly, Greg tells her "Hey Katie, by the way I remember the guy from the limo, it was Luke Richards, but seriously don't say anything -- it will ruin your life and you will lose everything so please please don't say anything to Patty." Um, dipsh|t, if you were really on the level, you wouldn't have told her it was Richards. Why would you tell her unless you wanted her to go to Patty with the name? Katie should have figured out right there that Greg was being inconsistent and selfish.

But I guess it runs in the in-law family -- not only is Katie retarded, but her brother is planning on cheating on his hot lawyer fiancee because some idiot brunette in a hospital wore a thong, and says lines like "Oh, I prefer comedies. They're so funny!" Yeah, real score there.

And not only is he retarded, Ellen is too. She has everyone in the free world warning her "Do not work for Patty Hewes. She is evil, you will never see daylight again." She gets a great job offer for a lot of money and easy hours with an awesome firm and that trustworthy old man. But she turns it down so she can work with a shady beeyotch who shows up everywhere unannounced, has employees who are terrified and unscrupulous, and at every step of the way proves that drama and hell are on the way.

Old man: Don't take the job, get out now, it's evil!
Ellen: What are my other options?
Old man: Me, a lot of money, happiness.
Ellen: Umm... no, I'd rather work for the evil firm and that beeyotch everyone hates and who fires people every day. Work twice the hours and fail to heed every warning in my way. Thanks though.
Old man: No problem, I'll just come visit you in a trenchcoat every month to remind you how evil she is.
Ellen: Word.