Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 01:34 AM

Default PS 10/180: AQo after all in + 2 calls

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t630)
UTG+1 (t5905)
MP1 (t5975)
MP2 (t5964)
CO (t4035)
Button (t1955)
Hero (t4640)
BB (t753)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t630</font>, UTG+1 calls t630, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t630, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero ????

Fold, call, or all in?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: PS 10/180: AQo after all in + 2 calls

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t630</font>, UTG+1 calls t630, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t630, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero ????

Fold, call, or all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have good equity against UTG, but you have to isolate him to play here...overcalling would be awful IMO. UTG+1's flatcall is either a small pair(if he's bad), or a monster(if he's good.) After the second cold-call this is an easy fold b/c there is almost no way to isolate UTG now.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 AM

fold
Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have good equity against UTG, but you have to isolate him to play here...overcalling would be awful IMO. UTG+1's flatcall is either a small pair(if he's bad), or a monster(if he's good.) After the second cold-call this is an easy fold b/c there is almost no way to isolate UTG now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now wait just a minute. I agree that overcalling is the worst option. And you agree that we beat all-in guy's range. Why is there 'no way' to isolate him? And by 'no way,' you mean that, 100% of the time, we get called by one or both callers for almost their entire stacks?

Actually, I folded without thinking really. After thinking a little more, I realized that if there's a decent chance of getting against the all in player with &gt; 3:1 pot odds, I'd be insane not to do it.

I agree that you always wonder if someone's calling an all in with a monster (but not the 2nd caller). However, even though that does happen, at low limits, it seems more likely that they each saw a hand they wanted to see a flop with, and decided that paying 4xBB wasn't too much.

I think the only monsters you have to worry about from utg+1 are KK and AA, and there are only 3 AA hands out there. I don't think anyone plays JJ, QQ, or AK like this. If you manage to isolate just 50% of the time, isn't that worth it? I don't have time to do the math, but it looks pretty good for a chance to go from average to fairly big stack only losing T630 if you lose the flip.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM

IMHO ...MP1 is the only one you have to worry about. UTG+1 flat calling says to me he has a hand that can beat junk, but only barely.

MP1 calling says I have a small pair and will gamle or I have a big pair and I want someone to squeeze me... and I probably would have obliged him here.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:09 PM

It's certainly possible that someone with a huge hand wants to risk getting in a multiway pot on the off chance that someone will raise. However, I do like that you said that, even though the possibility concerns you, that YOU WOULD HAVE PUSHED ANYWAY.

The question is: what is the likelihood that a monster is out there? I think that even if there's 20% chance (seems a little high) that one of the callers has AA/KK, and 80% of the time you're getting &gt; 3:1 pot odds where you will win about 55% of the time, it's worth the times you bust to get those 2000 or so more chips just before the blinds are about to start getting huge.

This is a leak in my game I think. I get really really pissed when I get aggro at stealing blinds and run into AA, and I worry that I start passing on steal opportunities because of it.