FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 11:41 PM

Default stud/8 hand

My notes on Seat 8 say [ QUOTE ]
defended BI vs raised A with (Q4)7 rb
plays a lot of junk
raises 2 pair HU against coordinated low boards

[/ QUOTE ]
His VP$IP is just under 50% in 131 hands.

Not too familiar with Seat 3. A loose/calling station-type player if I had to guess.
My thoughts on the hand are at the end.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.20, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.85 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.93 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (2.93 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises

River - (11.93 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (11.93 BB - $23.85)

My thoughts:

5th Street: his check means that he's worried about me having a set 6s since he's never checking here with three Queens. That said, I still think betting is wrong because both guys will call anyway.

There doesn't seem to be much value in betting the river.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Re: stud/8 hand

I have found those kinds of razz hands to suck, especially with two clubs dead and would fold 3rd.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 AM

Why not complete first-in on 3rd?

Patty
Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 AM

I like a fold on 3rd a lot of the time, unless everyone will come in with junk, and get some money in make it +ev to get half. I like a cap on 6th. I'd feel ok about a 7th street bet. If Seat 3 had a better low or made a straight or something he probably wouldn't c/r.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a fold on 3rd a lot of the time, unless everyone will come in with junk, and get some money in make it +ev to get half. I like a cap on 6th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree these hands can be a lot of trouble but I felt it was ok to play it in this spot because there was only one baby left behind me, and a 7 at that. That is probably an argument for completing then, as well as to try and eliminate the BI.

Not capping 6th did feel kind of weak but I felt at the time that the extra bet was about ev neutral assuming Seat 3 has a big draw. However plugging it into twodimes with his most likely hole cards show him having less than 15% pot equity.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd feel ok about a 7th street bet. If Seat 3 had a better low or made a straight or something he probably wouldn't c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree he would just bet out if he hit but I also felt he wouldn't call if he missed as well; especially since it's a lot harder for him to call with a small two pair hand because of Seat 8. I suppose a bet by me is worth it in case he makes something like a crappy 8-low or small set if it only costs him a single bet to show it down.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 PM

I thought you played it Ok and can't find any real errors on any of the streets.

As far as your 3rd street decision...I think any one of the three choices are acceptable (call, raise, or fold), but after mulling it over a little bit, I would probably have made the same choice and limped in. My reason is, while the hand is nothing to write home about, it DOES stand a good chance to be the only low draw. And, I also like that his 6 was his doorcard opposed to his 7. And, by electing to just limp in, that will often cause other players to limp in, too, and looking at the cards that were out there, and I think this was a reasonable and understandable choice.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 PM

I think your best bet would be to just dump on third...although when your not getting hands a 7 low razz hand with a 2 straight/flush looks like the nuts
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 PM

Normally, I may have agreed with this, and I routinely fold this kinda hand on 3rd, as well (although, his hand wasn't horrible). But, let's compare limping vs. raising vs. folding.

If he raises, and someone reraises and one or both of the remaining lows call, then, he may have to invest too much (and that includes his initial raise) on a hand that probably isn't worth the investment. That's why I sided against the raise.

If he folds, then the hand is over for him and he doesn't have to look back. But, what happens if he folds, a Queen raises, a King calls, and the other player with the low doorcard folds? Now, it's just up to the bring-in and there are no absolutes that he has a 3 card low. To me, we have just passed up a great opportunity to be a part of what might be a big pot while being the only player who is drawing for low. And, it doesn't even have to play out like that. What if he just elects to limp and takes it from there? I mean, for the price of the limp(which is still small) he can find himself in a very happy situation (especially if the lows go out for just the price of a limp). And, if he limps and the action behind him gets heavy and it happens to include one of the other low hands, then he can quietly muck his hand and move on. But, like I said, I think, in this spot, there is definitly enough value to limp in. If, say, one of the other lows had already limped in, then that may change things drastically (especially if that player played decent cards), but, because the OP wasn't faced with that situation, I think it's Ok to limp.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:10 AM

The ante is high and the bring-in is low. I'm going to guess that the game is loose and passive. I limp on third street all day long. I think you played this one well, although I'd be inclined to bet the river. If seat 3 has a Seven or Eight low, you win, and if he had a Six or better, you likely would have heard from him by now. I don't know what the rake structure is in this game, but is it maxed out yet? If it isn't, you might be laying something like a quarter to win half a bet.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:36 AM

if the ohter low has you beat, he's betting the river. he didn't so you should, your hand is likely good. i also cap 6th street but i don't think it's that bad that you didnt.

i also agree limping this is fine and probably the best option