Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Jogging Question

I've began to start back onto the jogging kick after over a year of inactivity, during which I put on at least 20lbs.

Although to be honest, this is an issue that I've had for as long as I can remember and I wonder if you guys know what the general cause might be.

When I jog or do any cardio work, there is an initial period of normal breathing, no sweating and no real stress on the muscles. After a period, the breathing and sweating kick in a bit, but the thing that always forces (and I'll use that term very lightly) me to stop is the burning in the leg muscles--particularly around the knees and ankles.

Is there a fundamental reason that it seems muscles exhibit this type of situation more than say completely running out of breath?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Jogging Question

You are probably very weak and your muscles fatigue easily.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 PM

Run slower to start off with.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:21 PM

At what point does it normally turn around? I've been jogging every-other-day for 6 weeks or so and it still is about the same issue, although I have increased distance slowly. Pace is generally the same and not overly fast.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At what point does it normally turn around? I've been jogging every-other-day for 6 weeks or so and it still is about the same issue, although I have increased distance slowly. Pace is generally the same and not overly fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are your goals? Are you doing anything else? Slow jogging is like the worst choice of exercise options available.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 PM

Really? Meh. I had no idea. Why is that?

Right now my goals are just to make sure I get some level of physical activity per day. That year or two off when I was in grad school + career really dug me a hole. So, now that I'm finished with school I've got adequate time to get some things in.

I've managed to change my eating habits a ton since I started, so that combined with starting back on the fitness (quasi) train is my first step. Not overly concerned with losing lbs or inches, just would like to start taking better care of myself and the rest will follow.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 PM

When does this burning happen in time or distance (if it is consistent). Do you stop? What happens?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:40 PM

Ok word. Try to start weight training. 3 times a week is plenty and there is tons of resources in the FAQ here and other threads. Instead of only jogging get your physical activity in other modes. Jump rope, bike, swim, play a sport, do sprint intervals or HIIT etc. etc. All jogging does is burns a few calories, improves your aerobic fitness and burns up muscle. Besides, jogging is BORING. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just for something to start and stay with your routine of running. Start of at a slower pace than normal
for a couple minutes, then run as hard as possible for like 20 seconds. Rinse repeat for a couple miles - or close to whatever distance you're used to.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When does this burning happen in time or distance (if it is consistent). Do you stop? What happens?

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't consistant, which can be frustrating. Generally kicks in after 1-1.5 miles or so. I live/run in an urban setting so sometimes if I catch the lights wrong I get a 15 second rest here/there and it goes away for a couple minutes and then returns.

If I catch the lights right, I normally try to plow through (it really isn't pain pain, just modest burning) until I reach the end of my scheduled run (which really isn't too much farther).
Old 08-10-2007, 10:50 PM

Roger, will read the FAQ and such. Sad to say I have never visited this forum as long as it has been around [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]