Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM

Default turn/river play at Bellagio $10/20

I was playing a $10/20 game at the Bellagio last weekend when the following interesting hand came up. Some of the details (irrelevant suits, exact bet amounts) might be a little off.

I raised with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] early position for $80, and got 4 callers, for a pot of $350. The flop came down 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I was first to act and bet out $280 and got 2 callers, for a pot of $1190. I felt it reasonable to put one guy on a 7 and the other on a flush draw. All three of us had fairly tight solid images.

The turn came the K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], giving me top boat. Now was the interesting part. Second guy (grandpa) had about $3k behind him, and the other guy had about $4k behind, and I had both covered. What is my play here?

I thought carefully about my options - I ended up betting out $460, hoping to entice a call from the draw or a raise from the 7. Gramps called pretty quickly, and the other guy thought with a reluctant face for a long time before calling. At this point the pot was $2570. I knew gramps had the 7 and other guy had the draw.

Then the river came the case king, giving me the absolute nuts. What is my play here?

I felt my only chance to stacking either player was to fake a holding of AA and entice a bluff from the flush draw. What is the better way of accomplishing this: a check, or a protective bet of a few hundred?

Needless to say, I checked, and the flush draw started counting out his chips/bills with a menacing look on his face, but finally checked.

I was not very pleased with the outcome of this hand (the river turns out to be the 4th worst possible card for me), but was there something I should have done differently? Obviously, I could have stacked gramps if I had played it differently, but were there higher expectation plays out there? Both players commented that they had me on kings after my turn bet, so that is the play I am really curious about.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: turn/river play at Bellagio $10/20

("got 4 callers" = "got 3 callers")
Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 PM

Meh, river sucks, but you should still just bet a small amount to get guy with a 7 to call you. Nobody is gonna bluff this.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, river sucks, but you should still just bet a small amount to get guy with a 7 to call you. Nobody is gonna bluff this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I also like a larger turn bet....or a c/r. Bet $775 on river as played.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:20 PM

i like a turn cr, as for river, u must bet , in this pot size not many are bluffing into two opponents in this spot on the river
Old 08-21-2007, 03:44 PM

river is for a check raise, disagree with rest of responses.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
river is for a check raise, disagree with rest of responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, you think 7x is betting?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:30 PM

Eh, even if the 7 is going to bet the river, they're almost never going to call a raise, so what's the difference if you bet or they bet? I think you probably lose more from when the 7 checks behind than you could possibly gain from other scenarios.

Hmm... they both claimed they put you on KK on the turn. And they called. Riiiiight, sure they did.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:40 PM

i think the turn bet is horrible, just as your opponents said it reaks of kings full.
against 1 player it could look like a stopbet but against 2 players i think it just screams strength.

either checkraise or bet 1K.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both players commented that they had me on kings after my turn bet

[/ QUOTE ]
live players and their superior reads.