Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Should I buy a new computer?

Hello. I'm currently running an eMachine with an AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8 GHz, 512MB DDR SDRAM, and its lagging when I multi-task. Multi-tasking includes: 6-8 tabling across 1-2 different sites, PAHud, MSN, AIM, mIRC, music, internet browser.

I'm not all that computer savvy, and my intentions were to just go buy a new desktop PC.. but then I realized that I'd want my current HD to be put in the new one as well as the video card which allows me dual monitors. So if thats the case, would I be best to just buy more RAM?

Keep in mind that I'm no good with "installing" new processors and whatnot. My hardware skills are pretty much limited to being able to pop in RAM or a video card.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Should I buy a new computer?

Your computer is fine for what you want to do. You would definitely benefit from extra RAM, but you probably have some crap running in the background. Please post your HijackThis log here or PM it to me.

Do I sound like a broken record yet?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello. I'm currently running an eMachine...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you should.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hello. I'm currently running an eMachine...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you should.

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly...
Old 08-20-2007, 07:43 PM

You'd need a dual core processor if you want to multitask without your PC swearing at you. Intel's Core 2 Duos are pure win and there's bound to be one suited to your budget.

RAM wise you'll need at least 1GB, although if you're going for a new PC anyways I'd recommend 2GBs, as RAM prices are a lot cheaper than they used to be a year ago. If you play any graphically demanding games it's best to get 4GBs of RAM for futureproofing, but 2GB is more than enough otherwise.

Your HD won't be a problem. However if you want to run dual monitors you'll need a newish graphics card. Not sure about your current motherboard but I think it only supports AGP cards at best, and any half decent card these days will be PCI-E, so you'll need to get a new motherboard as well.

Ok you may as well buy a new system full stop unless you want the hassle of replacing every single component [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Edit: Hmmm on second thought it could be an integrated graphics card you have atm so it's not upgradeable at all...more reasons for you to get a new PC I suppose ^^
Old 08-20-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: Hmmm on second thought it could be an integrated graphics card you have atm so it's not upgradeable at all...more reasons for you to get a new PC I suppose ^^

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is not true. Most computers that have integrated graphics cards also come with AGP or PCI-e slots. I am no recommending spending any money on this machine, but it will work for what he wants to do.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:15 AM

To clarify, the video card in this eMachine is one that I bought/installed a few months ago for dual monitor purposes and is a good card. I'm already running dual monitors and they run fine.

So basically I guess my question is, if I were to add more RAM, would it solve my lagging issue? Or is the processor that bad?
Old 08-21-2007, 03:24 AM

It sounds like your pc as a whole is pretty old. Although, its not unusable by any means. You can probably 6 table while runnning pt and whatnot just fine, just don't do all the other various things you listed at the same time, and make sure your running processes are at a minimum.

As far as your pc, it was probably top of the line 6-7 years ago to be honest. Although you can just update certain components, eventually everything will need upgrading. I would advise just getting a whole new pc that will last you another good 6-7 years instead of slowly upgrading parts yearly or whatnot. If you want to keep some stuff from your old pc and transfer it over to your new pc, then just do that.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:25 AM

Ah my bad I meant you can't remove the integrated card...not that you'd want to anyway [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I compared a processor slightly better than yours (not on the site) with a low end C2D processor at tom's hardware, and the latter is quite a bit better than yours.

Definitely get more RAM and as I said previously I think a dual core would really help with your multitasking [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]