Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 04:00 AM

Default [PLO8] Set of aces... horribly misplayed?

Hi guys! I played in a home game PLO8, with blinds of $1/$2. It's 7-handed, and effective stacks are $300. Villian in this hand is a solid player. Comments welcome on flop and turn play, I don't know whether I botched this hand or not.

Preflop: Hero is button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises to $10, SB folds, BB calls $8, UTG calls $8, UTG+1 calls $8.

Flop: ($33) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($33) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB bets $25, UTG folds, Hero folds.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Re: [PLO8] Set of aces... horribly misplayed?

Please clarify why you folded to the king? If you can explain that part coherently, I can tell you whether or not the hand was botched. (Maybe it was a heart???)
Old 08-19-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please clarify why you folded to the king? If you can explain that part coherently, I can tell you whether or not the hand was botched. (Maybe it was a heart???)

[/ QUOTE ]

There are flushes working in two suits, so the initiative on the river belongs to villian - any flushed board may give me a difficult situation to face. A made low is already on the board. So if villian has a decent low, he can bluff at a flush card with little risk to himself.

I might be playing for only half the pot.

What I'm wondering is whether I have either

a) A decent chance to scoop the pot (i.e. villian has no low, or can I bet/raise him off his hand with position)

b) A great chance to chop the pot (my high is good on the river)?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:18 AM

Flop: Hero checks (well played, no need to bloat the pot here when you're likely sucking for high)

Turn: BB bets $25, UTG folds, Hero Folds the best possible hand ATM...What? A call is certainly in order here, you can still fold to a large river bet by what looks like low+flush/str8 (or call: his play could very well be a steal/semi-bluff high/KKK/cold NL).

a) While Unlikely, not unpossible.
b) More than a decent chance not quite great.
c) Folding the best possible hand on the turn is extremely weak & very exploitable.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Hero checks (well played, no need to bloat the pot here when you're likely sucking for high)

Turn: BB bets $25, UTG folds, Hero Folds the best possible hand ATM...What? A call is certainly in order here, you can still fold to a large river bet by what looks like low+flush/str8 (or call: his play could very well be a steal/semi-bluff high/KKK/cold NL).

a) While Unlikely, not unpossible.
b) More than a decent chance not quite great.
c) Folding the best possible hand on the turn is extremely weak & very exploitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, it felt really weak and I am questioning the turn action a lot. I'm more comfortable with my flop action. Here's my questions about the turn; say I call, what do I do on these river actions? Pot will be $83 with around $260 effective stacks.
[*] 1) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img][*] 2) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][*] 3) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img][*] 4) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][*] 5) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img][*] 6) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I am home free with the other cards (i.e. 1 ace, 2 treys, 3 sixes, 3 kings, 4 black eights/nines = 13 cards total) for half the pot. I can also maybe bluff villian off his low half of the pot. I think it is pretty unlikely that villian has no low on an A36 board.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:37 AM

Preflop and flop is fine, but call turn, half of river cards are good for you.
Ok you need to call 25 to win 30 which you can do half of the time and that looks like not enough odds, but the point is sometimes the river will come with a scare card like 7 and villian will check, or maybe he had KKQQ and if it pairs you can stack him? Maybe he has some diamond draw with a crapy low and you can bluff him off it when the draw doesnt hit.

Anyway turn decision run close and against someone reasonable its a fold, because he will never have KKQQ or some of those possibilities I mentioned.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:37 AM

I would like to know how much the bb has @ this point. if he has ~ same stack then I call this. If the board pairs you can r/r him on the river and get to throw away a 45 or something like that possibly and scoop the whole pot. I know it feels like ur just drawing to half the pot, but I think you can take the river away a lot.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys! I played in a home game PLO8, with blinds of $1/$2. It's 7-handed, and effective stacks are $300. Villian in this hand is a solid player. Comments welcome on flop and turn play, I don't know whether I botched this hand or not.

Preflop: Hero is button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises to $10, SB folds, BB calls $8, UTG calls $8, UTG+1 calls $8.

Flop: ($33) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($33) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB bets $25, UTG folds, Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's decent you are never scooping.

There are ten cards that don't flush or make a low straight. There are nine which give you the nut high. Thats 19 wins for high out of 44, or 43% of the time. You're getting 25 to 16 for high. So if you call, you need to hope for some free showdowns where you could be bluffed off your hand.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to know how much the bb has @ this point. if he has ~ same stack then I call this. If the board pairs you can r/r him on the river and get to throw away a 45 or something like that possibly and scoop the whole pot. I know it feels like ur just drawing to half the pot, but I think you can take the river away a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, depends on the opponent.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:04 PM

I understand your logic about only playing for half the pot and there being a lot of scare cards...BUT and this is the biggest BUT in the world...YOU HAVE POSITION...That is so astronomically important in a situation like this...

I like the play on the flop, don't bloat it for a wheel wrap to raise you...I think this hand can stand the call since like I said you will be the last to act...What you think are scare cards for yourself may also be scare cards for your opponents (as was mentioned) so you could get a free showdown on cards that you think will potentially bust your hand (or you may have a chance to steal)...