Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 07:46 AM

Default Responding to 3-bet ranges

Being 3-bet preflop can be one of the most difficult decisions when you have a legitimate and strong raising hand that isn't AA or KK. This is principally because there seems to be two camps of 3-betters these days. Those that 3-bet light with a wide range of pairs, premium hands and also, from time to time, suited connectors, and those that 3-bet very rarely and usually only with JJ+ and sometimes AK.

The hands I'm wanting to talk about are QQ and AKs/AKo and how to respond to these two groups. Against the light 3-betters a 4-bet is clearly +EV so we can go ahead and make that move.

The other group are causing me problems though.

Our AKo/s vs a JJ+,AKo/s range is 40.5% us vs 59.5% them.

Even if we extend that range to include AQo/s we are still only at a 50:50 whereby our original raise and the blinds act as overlay and we can push even if we know villain calls with 100% of his range (and he'd probably fold AQ). If villain won't 3-bet AQ but will 3-bet more pairs we are still behind at roughly 40:60 and now the question comes which of those pairs does villain call a 4-bet/shove with. He'd probably fold the likes of 99 and possibly 1010 so a shove may well be +EV. However, as we've seen if villain 3-bets JJ+,AKo/s then our AK seem to turn into a fold.

Against that same tight range QQ stacks up at 47:53 in villains favour. Extending villains range to include AQ+ and our QQ takes the lead and obviously if you add more pairs in our advantage increases significantly.

I conclude therefore that it's important to identify how 'tight' villains tight 3-bet range is. If he'll 3-bet AQ and pairs lower than JJ then both AK and especially QQ have a positive expectation for a committing 4-bet/push.

On the other hand if villains range really is JJ+,AK then both AK and QQ have to be played differently or folded. What would you do in this circumstance?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Responding to 3-bet ranges

Against villains range of JJ+,AK... I'll take a flop with AK or QQ if he 3bets. AQ or AJ is just a fold.

Remember just because villain has a tight range of 3betting doesn't mean YOU don't have his hand beat.If he plays strongly on flop / turn and hes generally a tight range 3better like you said, then you can give him credit. If you haven't been 3betting light too often at the table and you call his 3bet and start to play back, hes going to fear his hand to be beaten. Of course unless its KK or AA which in that case you should know from the way he plays.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Responding to 3-bet ranges

I dont think it is correct to call a 3bet with AK ever. Here is a great post on it.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...&PHPSESSID=

I also dont like 4 betting with JJ in any situation. You are behind so much of the average opponents 3bet range and you leave yourself in a bad situation if an over card hits.

Position and reads matter so much in 3 betting/4 betting situations.

Here is a nice thread on 3betting

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post7886535