Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Default overrepresenting my hand

UTG is a decent TAG
other 2 guys are fish

Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) yourface is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, yourface calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8SB, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">yourface bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">yourface 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (10BB, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">yourface bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, SB folds.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (13BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">yourface bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds.

in hindsight I think that I should c/r the flop. my reasoning at the time was that 4 way UTG may not cb his unpaired hands, and he may also raise my donk with worse hands and give me some protection. but with the very dry board he is more likely to bet

so when he raises I think that I am frequently beat. with the 2 fish coming along I have a nice overlay though, and I don't want to risk a free turn card if getting all those callers freezes UTG up with a pair &lt; J

after UTG calls the turn I am pretty much sunk. river bet is praying that he can will lay down a better J since I've played my hand so strongly. pretty unlikely to happen, but c/c is pretty terrible and I can't bring myself to c/f in such a big pot
Old 08-19-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Re: overrepresenting my hand

I usually check/raise the flop unless I think UTG won't cbet alot, or will raise alot of worse hands. As played I think the 3 bet is probably a bit too much.

I would check the river and fold if UTG bets, he must have you beat after he calls the turn and bets the river 3 way.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:59 PM

river bet is pretty much a bluff hoping that he makes a heroic fold with JQ JK. probably a bad idea in these showdown monkey games
Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 PM

Yah I don't understand the donk/3bet given your read. I mean it's ok vs. idiots I guess but not anyone decent. As played I think you've got to just Vbet CO on the end &amp; hope utg has 99 or something; lol @ him mucking KJ though.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:24 PM

My brain hurts just reading this hand. That spot severely sucks.

If the TAG's perception of you is that you're a TAG, than I think you can fold the turn. It'd be different if the pot wasn't multiway, but any decent player has to read you for a Jack on this dry board, since you're leading out into the field.

I just can't see a good player popping 99, 88, 77, here. TT would be the min. I'd probably raise a TAG.

If you're an unknown to him, the complexion changes somewhat. Bad players donk here with as little as A4, so he'd probably pop a middle a pair to shut out the fish.

For me, whether to continue or not really depends on how this opponent views me.

As for the flop, I like check-raising. 3 betting will freeze up all hands that beat you and you'll be playing in the dark throughout the rest of the hand. If you c/r, the TAG will most likely 3 bet with his big pairs, you'll call, and if you don't improve, you can safely fold on the turn. You save the 2 bets that you'll spend going to SD, since 3 betting yourself compels you to go all the way.

The river. Have to SD. Great advertising!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:52 AM

A c/r will get you a lot more accurate info on the flop, in addition to gaining value from your TP hand.

A 3-bet would mean a lot more to me in terms of deciding how strong my hand is, over a guy who's raising a donkbet.