Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Ideal 3betting size.

Would love some input on this aspect of my game...

What is the ideal preflop 3bet size? When I 3bet (4x villains bet is my default). But I have been thinking about adjusting it.

Would it be bad to 3bet based on villains stack size?

I know that I want to punish villains for drawing at my aces, but I also don't want to scare them off pre-flop every time either, as postflop play gives them more chances to make mistakes. Also I am trying to find spots to 3 bet light.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Ideal 3betting size.

My advice would be to play around with different bet sizes, and figure out which one is best for your own game. There is no perfect bet size because it changes with how your postflop game is. For instance, some people always c-bet after 3betting while others do not. How strong or weak your post flop game is will change how much you want to 3bet.

You can vary your bet based on your hand, your position, or your opponent as long as you are not predictable. For instance, some opponents respond differently to different sizes, and you should know this.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be bad to 3bet based on villains stack size?

[/ QUOTE ]This is how I choose my 3bet size.

Well, mostly.

If I've noticed exploitable tendencies in opponents I will bet more or less depending on whether I want a call or fold.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:46 PM

Depends on position for me too, I'm going to raise it higher if I have to play OOP. I wouldn't suggest 3 betting light if you are playing 50NL and under unless its a villain you have played with consistently and have a good knowledge of their range for opening hands in certain positions.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't suggest 3 betting light if you are playing 50NL and under unless its a villain you have played with consistently and have a good knowledge of their range for opening hands in certain positions.

[/ QUOTE ]I can't speak for lower than 50NL, but I found plenty of people will fold for a 3bet at 50NL. And those who do c/f the flop a LOT.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't suggest 3 betting light if you are playing 50NL and under unless its a villain you have played with consistently and have a good knowledge of their range for opening hands in certain positions.

[/ QUOTE ]I can't speak for lower than 50NL, but I found plenty of people will fold for a 3bet at 50NL. And those who do c/f the flop a LOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that, but I think it's best in moderation. It seems at 50NL if I 3bet twice in an orbit I'm guaranteed a call the second time as opponents instantly assume a maniac.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems at 50NL if I 3bet twice in an orbit I'm guaranteed a call the second time as opponents instantly assume a maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]LOL- well that is true. It works best in moderation- or if you aren't going to do it in moderation, have AA the second time [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems at 50NL if I 3bet twice in an orbit I'm guaranteed a call the second time as opponents instantly assume a maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]LOL- well that is true. It works best in moderation- or if you aren't going to do it in moderation, have AA the second time [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my reasoning. I want to get called the 2nd or 3rd time I 3bet, cuz I'm gonna have it. I want it to be less scary.