Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 PM

Default $100 NL, They call me Mr. Exploitable

$130 stacks. Button is a TAG. I've been quiet, except for one hand where a loose raiser got 3 callers and I stole the pot from BB.

I open for $5 from the CO. Button raises to $18.

Button probably knows I don't need much to raise from the CO, and is therefore more likely to play back at me light. If I will open frm the CO with Axs, A9o+, sc's, pairs, KJo, QJo and any 2 suited 9 or better, but am unwilling to call a re-raise with AQs, then it would be profitable for the button to 3 bet me every time I raise from the CO. Still, I am uncomfortable playing such a big pot OOP with a hand that is so easily dominated.

I need to adjust my strategy to make my play less exploitable, but how? Should I tighten up my opening range, expand the range with which I call a 3-bet, or both. What are good ranges?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: $100 NL, They call me Mr. Exploitable

It might just be that the button had a really good hand that time.

Is the same guy doing this every time? If so, then leave the table and go somewhere that doesn't have him immediately to the left.

If you can't move, and if he's doing it regularly (like every time) over your pfr, then 4-bet/push-flop with AK, QQ, KK, AA and continue to fold the rest. But don't call the reraise OOP unless you have a mid-pair and want to play for set value and you think you'll get 12:1 on your calling money when you hit.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:47 PM

your ranges or okay, if not a little tight. Most button players are not capable of exploiting this to the extent that they should.

When playing online facing a villian that is doing this to me, i would probably just change tables, you could call some 3 bets with SC's, but it probably isn't a big deal
Old 08-15-2007, 12:03 AM

if he is doing it repeatedly, he is 3betting light. Eventually you will have to take a stand.

But i think changing seats/tables is the best idea.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:10 AM

like others said, just change seats/tables. You're definitely not opening very wide there. I will open a much much wider range in the CO, but open to 3.5 or 4 BB usually.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:31 AM

I have this problem as well...I usually run 20/11 and have a pretty wide raising range from lp, but I don't like to call 3bets oop with anything but a premium hand.

Fortunately, at 100NL few players do a good job of exploiting my play or taking me out of my comfort zone. I agree with the other posts in that you should probably just find another seat/table with a friendlier player on your left, but my concern is that at higher levels friendlier players won't be so easy to find.

If you're not going to switch seats then the following might work: Start limping in spots where you'd normally raise but would actually really like to see a flop (small pps, scs, suited As, and the like)...this way his reraise isn't pushing you off of hands that have a lot of potential. I don't like to let someone bully me in to playing weaker so I'd keep raising at the same frequency but I'd throw in some raises with garbage to replace the aforementioned hands that I'll be limping now. Also, I think you got to be prepared to 4bet and shove the flop with your premium hands (AK, QQ+...I'd probably include AQ, JJ as well, maybe even TT). Try this at your own risk...I'm to chicken and I go the switch seat/table route.

Anyone have any thoughts on this strategy? Seem spewy?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 AM

Spew.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Spew.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 AM

A better approach I think would be to become the guy that does the exploiting. I've seen vanbroken do it in his videos, I just seem to freeze up everytime I think about doing it. The few times I have 3bet light, I've had nice results. Everyone folded... Some guidelines, if there are any for when to do it would be nice. It's something I would like to add to my arsenal.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some guidelines, if there are any for when to do it would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]Pay attention to who folds to 3bets, and don't 3bet people who are only raising KK+ (use your PT stats). Do it in position.

At NL100 it isn't really that hard, as most reasonably tight players fold to a 3bet.