Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Heads up sng question (LC)

Not even sure if this is the right forum, but I've recently gotten really into heads up sngs. I show a higher ROI than i ever saw in 9man tourneys and better profit than in cash games. I feel like I am significantly better than the average opponent. I'm currently playing the $22+1s on FT and I am overall happy with my play. However, I seem to be really streaky. I'll win 7 in a row or 8/10 enough to cover the times where i lose 4/5, or one time 11 in a row. I am curious to hear what anybody else who plays alot of heads up tournaments experiences in terms of losing streaks and what they consider normal variance. The nature of heads up is such that if you are losing a bunch in a row you feel like you're making alot of mistakes (bad calls, bad bets/raises, folds, etc.) but they are the same moves you make when you're winning. I suppose that's the case in all poker, but it is much more pronounced in heads up sng play from what I see. Let me know about your experiences as I am currently 0 for my last 6 just after winning 7 in a row and need a bit of a sanity check.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Heads up sng question (LC)

It sounds like you are asking if hu sngs are beatable, well yes they are but you have to be good at developing reads quickly and exploiting them. Look over the hh's while you are playing, this will become easier over time and you will improve fast as you take more notice of bet sizing and betting patterns. Anything >55% won is pretty decent in the long run and 60-65% is attainable with lots of hard work. Also I believe there is a hu forum somewhere where people more qualified than me frequent so you might want to post something there.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:51 PM

Are you tracking your heads up stats?
Old 08-15-2007, 12:18 AM

I guess I didn't clarify my question really. I know HU sngs are beatable, very beatable. I think I am quite good at reading the vast majority of my opponents and I plan to stick with the HU matches cause they are working for me so far even when I'm not getting cards.

Yes, I am tracking my heads up stats but still in the process of accumulating enough sngs to really tell how good/bad I am. As it is right now, i'm winning about 57% of them over the course of 81 matches. I'm pretty happy with this number considering it is a small sample size in which I feel like I've only had small streaks where I've hit alot of hands and a couple stretches where I've run completely card dead with no good flops or large % of missed draws.

Previous to these 81 matches, I played 107 $11+.50s where I won about 65% of my games.

I would imagine that I need a smaller sample size than the standard 1,000-2,000 games played for 9man sngs in order to measure my success. Would I be correct in assuming 400-500 games should suffice? The original point of this post was really to learn a little bit about the experiences of those who have done this before and what sort of swings a winning player can expect just so I feel prepared for things and don't question myself. As it stands right now, I'm on a 6 tourney slide and still feel very good about the decisions i've made and believe that my actions, even when they don't work out, succeed often enough to be profitable.