Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 12:11 AM

Default FTOPS Sat to ME (75$) - FT: open-raise with 99 on the button

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t120/t240
(Ante: t25)

Final Table, last 7 players, 1st and 2nd get entry (3rd gets 241$)

Villain is 18/12 over 55 hands, folded his BB twice to a steal.

Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t7530
UTG+1: t3685
MP1: t3170
CO: t5335
Hero: t3395
SB: t1905
BB: t3480

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t720</font>, SB folds, BB calls t480 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1255)</font>.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t1735, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ???</font>

Any advices are greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tackleberry.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 AM

Default Re: FTOPS Sat to ME (75$) - FT: open-raise with 99 on the button

Sorry for this being the second thread I shamelessly bump up. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Again this hand may seem to be ridiculously easy but I´m just uncertain. I thought it was a pretty easy shove (- and that was what I´ve done). But was it correct? I surely had not enough chips to make a normal c-bet. Otherwise this seems to be a scary board against a BB who called my raise pf. What may he have? Two broadways? In this case he beats me very often. A smaller pocket-pair? Then I would have expected a re-shove pf. So what? Better c/f? This seemed incredible weak here - given my position. Check behind? What to do on the turn then? So many questions ... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2007, 05:49 AM

Tough spot! I don't like to put myself in situations like this one, so I'd shove PF. It's already 535 in the pot, I'm happy to add that to my stack.

Given the situation you're in, I check behind.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:17 AM

I hate not cBetting but really you need to find safer spots in sats.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 PM

As played, push the flop.

I would have pushed pre-flop.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 PM

So you prefer pushing pf as well - as Rocco said? I just found it was bit overscrewd - given stack sizes ... but overall Rocco´s right - raising brought me in a difficult situation ...
Old 08-15-2007, 12:59 PM

I dont like pushing pre flop, but I can see the value in it. C-betting this flop is a bad move IMO. You will get either by a king or jack, in which case youre finished. AQ has plenty of outs also. If he has a small pair, you prob. will see a showdown. With 2675 at 120/240, you still have enough play to not go broke here.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:30 PM

To begin, those of you who don't like pushing preflop really need to consider pot size and position. 99 is a beautiful hand to push preflop from the button at this point. Many hands that call you are ahead of, and if SB comes for the ride, he is gonna do it with lower midpairs as this will look like a steal with a wide range.

Put another way, since pushing is going to become germane to winning this [censored], what the [censored] else are you not pushing with if not 99? And how do you expect to win this thing?

Flop: BB's call preflop is a little odd and I would proceed forward with caution. Personally, the only hands I'm calling here in this spot are AA and KK, but that's because I'm a ninja (see my "stop and go" post). I'm 3-betting lots of other stuff like K10 and KQ and what not, which leads me to believe that: a. you opponent sucks, and Ks and Js that just hit aren't going anywhere to a C-bet); b. He too is a ninja and is trapping; c. you're well ahead.

Two of these situations are [censored] and in one, you are giving 2 free cards to a lower pair that sucks and probably 6 to overs. I'm willing to live with those odds since I feel that betting has no FE against better hands, so I just check behind. If overcard comes and he checks, check back. If no over comes by river and he leads something like 1/2 pot, I'm tempted to call as he may be trying to steal with a poorly played AQ or some [censored] like that. I think check is good on the flop tho.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:15 PM

Pushing pre isn't bad with the effective M shorthanded.

I just hate sticking my dick out for a small pot SSed. The situation isn't as profitable in the long run, though pushing for value is +EV